Grants mini herd

Grant

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It’s been a while on raising animals, but it comes back quick. Since I will only have 2 finished calves a year it won’t be hard to get rid of. Between myself, 2 kids and a buddy wants a partial beef each year, getting rid of them is not a problem. I’ll sell to the kids and friends based on hanging weight and that is not a problem here. Then everyone pays their share of processing. I didn’t know about the 30 month thing. I’ll keep an eye on that.

We are pretty blessed on the pasture front. Very thick orchardgrass/red clover pasture. I did have some Johnson grass, but I declared war on it last year with a wick applicator and roundup and killed about 90% of it. The rest will get it this year. The people who I bought the heifers and steer from told me there is a slightly higher% yield of meat to weight, a little less bone I think, but doubt it will exceed 30% of hoof weight.

I have 2 family members who raise hay as a primary farm income. They do alfalfa/orchardgrass and sell to me at $5 a bale. My cattle would rather eat it than about anything. Next year I will help put some of their hay up and they have agreed to pay me in hay. Should provide all I need for a little labor working some equipment. They have a problem of not being able to keep everything going due to too few operators.

410farmer

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Jan thanks for the advise. There are full size and mini British or white park cattle. https://rcmminiaturecattlecompany.com/mini-white-park-cows
Mine had a sire who was a mini, about 41 inches at the shoulder. No doubt my bull will be bigger than the heifers/cows. If he gets too big, he will get cut and finished. He was a small calf, but there are guarantees since he is a youngster himself. Like I said, I’ve been around cows and know not to ever really trust one. To me cattle are not pets, they are large animals whe deserve respect and have a job. The best I can do is try to get them as calm as possible and be calm around them. If they know who is the provider, they usually respect that, but one eye is always on the animals. Once the cows have their calves they will get separated by several 100 yards for about 3 months from the bull. Good thoughts on the 4 sets, may reset my thinking on adding 1 more heifer. What I have now will put me in the 8-9 head total range. That should be doable on the area I have since the minis can generally be raised on 1 acre/ fairly easily. I know some push that to 2/acre, but that seems too high a population to me. Fortunately hay is very accessible to me at a reasonable price if I do have to supplement. I always have protein/mineral tubs available for them. I will supplement grain to finish the calves. Not knocking grass fed beef, I just prefer some grain in mine.
So we just going to skip by those minis selling for 25-4100k. My mini calves will never see a butcher lol. I wonder if they cross them with dexter or some serious line breeding. I didn’t know white park and Galloway came as minis as well. I’m not really too concerned with buying hay and feeding grain to my minis. My steers I plan on slaughtering I want to be fed as much pasture as possible... I wish I could work for hay

410farmer

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Wow that’s pretty cheap, I’ve seen some mini Herefords, Aberdeens, and dexters for a fair price in my area. When I’m ready I think I’m going to have to either drive pretty far or ship one to me. How did you find your sellers

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Atm you can get unregistered mini highlands steers for about that price, heifers or bulls will cost you more and if you wait until the spring the price goes double or more. 3yrs ago I called on an ad for highlands they offered me a heifer and a steer for $2400 without registration. If i wanted registration and a bull/heifer CALF pair it was $4300 :ep:th Sorry no, not to start out. Maybe later on down the line when i found out if i liked them and how they butchered out/ local market etc. That also didnt include delivery or transport of any kind so a 8+hr round trip to get them.

Grant

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I went non registered since I wanted them for beef production not raising more purebreds. The minis are plentiful here in sw Mo. Bring a trailer and take them home, of course now is the time to buy.

410farmer

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I went non registered since I wanted them for beef production not raising more purebreds. The minis are plentiful here in sw Mo. Bring a trailer and take them home, of course now is the time to buy.
Did a quick Craigslist search and yes you are in cattle heaven, minis, dexters, bottle babies most going for half of what they cost here on the east coast. Even the white parks was really cheap. So envious

Grant

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I think if you wanted bottle calves some dairy operations would give them to you almost.

Latest posts