Grants mini herd

410farmer

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I think if you wanted bottle calves some dairy operations would give them to you almost.
I’m sure, I’m def mr cheap but I’m not mr time. When my wife stop working that would be a fun project for her raise a couple. Did you ever finish fencing your pastures

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
@410farmer , could you add your state or general area to your profile so it shows up in your avatar when you post? I have a hard time remembering where people are from unless they have been on here awhile and are some that I interact with regularly. It helps to get advice and for someone to know when given advice, what area it might pertain to.
You made the comment about " here in the east" so I was curious to what general area you are in. I was born and raised in Ct and had family in Vt but moved here to Va 35+ years ago. I enjoy reading about other areas, but what works here, like types of grasses and hay, often does not work for those in Texas. Same with availability of certain breeds of animals.

410farmer

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
@410farmer , could you add your state or general area to your profile so it shows up in your avatar when you post? I have a hard time remembering where people are from unless they have been on here awhile and are some that I interact with regularly. It helps to get advice and for someone to know when given advice, what area it might pertain to.
You made the comment about " here in the east" so I was curious to what general area you are in. I was born and raised in Ct and had family in Vt but moved here to Va 35+ years ago. I enjoy reading about other areas, but what works here, like types of grasses and hay, often does not work for those in Texas. Same with availability of certain breeds of animals.
Sure I didnt setup my profile fully let me know if you can see my location I think I did it right. If you can’t, I’m in Maryland. I’ll update it when I get off work

Grant

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
My little bull calf finally trusts me enough to let me touch him. Just a nose rub and will take a range cube, but it’s a big step. I’ve been letting them all run out in the pasture and they all come in with a quick call. I want them penned at night. The cross fencing will be done this coming week and my steer and bull will get separated from the girls. My bull calf doesn’t like to be alone, but no herd animals do.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Patience pays off. Plus the added extra of a "bribe" of some feed...... Took me a week to get the cows and calves to come into the pen at the pasture where they had not been getting any real attention... but even the calves started to come in for the feed. Just a little patience, and keeping a routine and not giving them any excuse to fear you..... once they get used to it, even if they get a little fright, they will come back alot quicker because you are not doing anything "terrible" to them. Feed, range cubes, whatever is a great enticement.

410farmer

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
My little bull calf finally trusts me enough to let me touch him. Just a nose rub and will take a range cube, but it’s a big step. I’ve been letting them all run out in the pasture and they all come in with a quick call. I want them penned at night. The cross fencing will be done this coming week and my steer and bull will get separated from the girls. My bull calf doesn’t like to be alone, but no herd animals do.
How did you train them to come when called?.. once you finish the steer do you have any plans for company for the bull calf?

Grant

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I’ll bring in another steer calf just before I butcher.

I talk to them when I’m around them always, especially when feeding/watering. They associate the treat with my voice or my wife’s and what we call them. Names can pay off. No different than training a dog really. I’ve trained 2 service dogs through the years. One is my own, I’m deaf in one ear so I can not triangulate sound. Hearing things I can’t locate is frustrating. She is trained for doors, phone, sirens when driving and she taught herself to alert to my gps. Guess she has a fear of getting lost.

My wife has macular degeneration. I trained 1 dog for her to locate dropped small items. He would find it and put his nose against it so she could pick it up. We lost him last year, I think I’ll train the older Pyredoodle to do it. It does take some time and I’ll have to clean up his leash/behavior training. He’s not bad, just needs some polishing.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’ve trained 2 service dogs through the years. One is my own, I’m deaf in one ear so I can not triangulate sound. Hearing things I can’t locate is frustrating. She is trained for doors, phone, sirens when driving and she taught herself to alert to my gps. Guess she has a fear of getting lost.
Here you go @B&B Happy goats, someone with the same issue you have now. Could be a good resource for you and your soon to be service dog.