Grants mini herd

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Are you still working long hours? My son's job ended in January and he headed home. He is a crane operator, licensed to run everything except the ones you see on top of tall buildings. He was so sick, that he kept pulling over to gather strength to drive a little more. Finally he called his aunt, she caught a ride to go get him and she finished pulling his RV home. He was very ill, went to a doctor who told him he had a virus, not flu, but some kind of virus. We think he had Covid. Because of Covid and it being an election year, jobs are few. He finally got a local job running a crane and is making bills. As soon as jobs kick off again, he'll hitch up and be gone again. He generally works 7-12's with one day off every 3 weeks.

Grant

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Back to work today after a 2 week vacation. I have either a nasty cold with bronchitis or the C word. Awaiting results of the test. No meeting with customers, but I worked 10.5 hrs. I typically work 6x12. I was just too wore out to finish the day.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Back to work today after a 2 week vacation. I have either a nasty cold with bronchitis or the C word. Awaiting results of the test. No meeting with customers, but I worked 10.5 hrs. I typically work 6x12. I was just too wore out to finish the day.
We think it went through our family early this year. I wasn't sick, but my husband sure was-it hung on for months. I hope you don't have Covid and if you do, I hope that it is a light case and a quick recovery.

Grant

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Got word that we are wrapping up the work I’ve had at home for months and that I will be moving to Oregon to work the wildfires. Looks like a few more months of long days. Decided I needed to get the cattle their fall vaccines before I leave, so they got that today. At least the hay is in for my wife to not have to worry about. The long days are getting old, and the 3.5 day drive will be murder. Oh well, it could be worse....I’m working. Be happy for that, too many aren’t.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
WOW... didn't realize that you were "still/back", to full time employment.... How do you work that ....like 10 on and 2 off or something? That is a long drive.... you sure can't come home for a long weekend or anything. God bless both you and your wife with that sort of arrangement. Yes, it is nice to have work..... to a point. I guess it comes with the job. Same as me, except that I have never had to move to do this.... just have had to do a little more travel with farms that come and go as we lose testers, and then lose some farms and such.
Be careful, and keep us updated as you can.

Grant

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I work 6x12. Every 4th week I get a 4 or 5 day weekend. They fly me home and pay all the expenses. It’s exhausting, especially at 55. Its really a young mans job, but I can do it, and can make some of the younger guys look bad. i work smarter, and 31 years of experience let’s me make decisions quicker.

Im a catastrophe claims adjuster for a major insurance company. Been at it a long time.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've dealt with insurance claims adjusters. I had a pipe burst in the ceiling of our old house and flood the house. Another claim was when hurricane Ike dropped an ancient oak on the house. Both times the adjusters were very kind to us. They made bad situations a whole lot better and we sure appreciated them.

Just know that you help and give hope to a lot of people in hopeless situations, especially in a catastrophe event. When the insurance man shows up, things start looking a whole lot better.

Latest posts