1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. A Thief has been caught!!! - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

***GRAPHIC IMAGES*** Dead Predator...Dead Goat.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by goatboy1973, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Dec 17, 2018
    goatboy1973

goatboy1973 True BYH Addict Golden Herd Member

Today I was walking the fences as I always do and found a prized 9 month old Spanish doe that had been caught in the fence and looks like this fox and possibly a coyote had disemboweled her and ripped some of her limbs off. We managed to kill a fox and will use the goat and fox remains as coyote bait to kill coyotes. We are declaring war on predators of all kinds...trapping, poisoning, shooting, you name it we are gonna use it plus we are gonna get a low strand of electric fence up as well.

Attached Files:

2. Dec 17, 2018
    Goat Whisperer

Goat Whisperer Herd Master

Poor doe :(

That is terrible. So sorry for your loss.

Do you have livestock guardian animals? I am so thankful for our LGD's. The coyotes are terrible here.

3. Dec 17, 2018
    Latestarter

Latestarter Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry Golden Herd Member

Sorry for your loss. It's a shame you can't tell if the predators caused the issue, or the doe got tangled and drew them in. Either way, still sad.

goatboy1973 and B&B Happy goats like this.
  4. Dec 18, 2018
    greybeard

greybeard Herd Master

A wise decision. Get your neighbors (if any) on board as well. The eradication will proceed much faster and more efficiently with a large area and multiple landowners instead of you alone, which can result in you just running the predators off to cause similar havoc on your neighbors' stock.

Having said that, the doe carcass certainly may have been entangled and already dead when the predators found it. I've found fawns in fences that looked the same way.
    Be careful with the use of poisons. Follow your local laws and do inform your neighbors(again, if any) that you will have it out.

5. Dec 18, 2018
    OneFineAcre

OneFineAcre Herd Master

If you can eradicate the coyotes you will accomplish something men have been trying to do in this country for a long time.

6. Dec 18, 2018
    greybeard

greybeard Herd Master

You may never get rid of all of them but you can get rid of all the ones that plague you and your nearest neighbors' places. Dead ones don't return and they do not breed.

7. Dec 19, 2018
    greybeard

greybeard Herd Master

I wish I had one of these about 6 years ago when we really started. Coys weren't terrible, but hogs were. We all 5 agreed tho, to get rid of anything that might bother any of us.

From the text below the video:
    Coyotes typically bite the throat just behind the jaw and below the ear when attacking adult sheep or goats, with death commonly resulting from suffocation. Blood loss is usually a secondary cause of death. Calves and heavily fleeced sheep are killed by attacking the flanks or hindquarters, causing shock and blood loss. When attacking smaller prey, such as young lambs, the kill is made by biting the skull and spinal regions, causing massive tissue and bone damage. Small or young prey may be completely carried off, leaving only blood as evidence of a kill.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  8. Dec 19, 2018
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

Good video. I understand the night scope, but how was the video rigged up to look down the scope? Or are there combination scope/video?

9. Dec 19, 2018
    OneFineAcre

OneFineAcre Herd Master

That was some good shooting.

10. Dec 19, 2018
    Southern by choice

Southern by choice Herd Master

I saw your FB post.

I know you said the dogs were a pain because they barked too much and hard feeding them and to each his own but this is why I never mind the barking and our dogs don't let the goats eat their food. We have coyotes taking deer 10 ft from our back fence. No losses ever. We are heavily dogged.
    Our neighbors have donkeys but they don't deter the coyotes from coming in. They will kickk them to death once in but damage is already done and then the rabies issue caused a cattle farm to be under quarantine for 6 months. The donkey ended up with rabies and several cows too.
    I see the same issue with llamas.