Grass Fed Beef Profits

Status
Not open for further replies.

OSUman

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I was wondering if it were possible to make more money raising feeder calfs on straight grass then using the same amount land for crops. My friends' net profit last year was 9000 but i think the costs will take alot of that out of that. I read Salatins book and he said that you can keep 1 cow on 1 acre and he has 15 total for farming.

Lorenzo Poe

Just born
Reaction score
The secret to making money is to find someone who values your product. My 14 yo son started with10 free range hens and now has 65. He has worked hard at developing a customer base and has an arrangement with the local farmer's market to sell any his customers don't buy.
When I was selling grassfed beef we spent more time marketing than working cows. We had adds in the paper. notices at TSC and the Sale barn. The majority of our sales were from word of mouth by talking to people that we worked with, then their relatives heard, then their friends.
During my studies at school I had a sustainability project where I kept 22 cow/calf units on 10 acres of pasture one summer. Pasture was divided into 4 roughly equal sections plus one smaller section that they had access to at all times and one they had no access to. No external inputs other than using a sprinkler for two of the three rest days. At the end of the summer, the four managed pastures had better quality grass than the other two.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Finding your customers is the most important thing.

I have a former teacher who had great success using Facebook this year. He sold all of his product in just 12 hours just by posting a "status" on Facebook that his grass fed beef was ready.

He said to sell it all in years past took him a few weeks worth of ads and word of mouth.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Contact the local....and not quite as local....chapters of the Weston A. Price Foundation. Its members value pastured animal products of every kind, and will generally travel and pay for good stuff.

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Salatin may be able to raise 1 cow on one acre in his neck of the woods, however there are States out West where one will be hard pressed to raise 1 cow on 100 acres ( too hot and dry, poor soils, little rainfall). Without the benefit of supplemental feed and at least 90 days in a feed lot with a high grain consentrate feed, that cow will be nothing but a bag of bones.Too, when the ground is covered with snow in the North for months on end, that 1 cow will starve on that 1 acre eating snow and dirt. The nutrition from grass and grass varieties varies with the seasons as well as it's maturity level. newly growing grass is watery, while when mature will have lots of seed heads with lots of feed energy value. When fall comes or rain/ irrigation is lacking the grass will dry out loosing it's nutrition value rapidly. Remember the old Scottish saying... " The eye of the master fattens the cattle" ! So, it depends of where you are, the conditions you have and who you are (your management skills). Did you mean gross profit of $9,000 then taking out operating expenses? Net profit is what you put in your pocket after all expenses are paid. Good luck.

herfrds

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
What Bossroo said is correct.

You never know where you might get customers. I made $6 tonight selling 2 jars of pickles. I wasn't even looking to sell them.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
One would have to read about Salatin's methods to learn about just HOW he manages his grass and his cattle before passing judgement on how regional the information would be.

I'm not too awful fond of the man but he does have some excellent methods that can be adapted to just about all climates...the key is correcting those poor soils, choosing breeds that do well in hot climates, rotating pasture in certain ways during certain seasons to gain maximum feed without overworking your grass...however scanty it may be. He doesn't just place a cow on an acre and say, "Well, there ya go, that's your ration for the year!" :p

Yes, he lives where grass and rainfall are more plentiful than in some areas of the country but his neighbor couldn't feed one cow on one acre of HIS grass....I've seen his grass compared to Salatin's and he wouldn't be able to sustain his herd on what grass he has.

New Zealand and Australia have some of the best methods and best profits from grass fed cattle and we all know their land isn't composed of just verdant plains nor do they possess the most abundant rainfall.

"Out West" used to support millions of buffalo...before man came along and fenced it, plowed the good topsoil away and planted crops on it. Those buffalo rotated their grazing on a large scale and the plains used to have grass as tall as a horse's shoulder. Some of that grass had roots 15 ft. deep and the soil was rich and black.

Your grass and your farm is only as good as the intensive management and time you put into it....yeah, it's easier to throw beef on a feedlot and fatten them on grain and you will certainly yield quicker profits. But you will still only ever have poor soil, poor grass and a dependency on grain you have to buy.

Every time someone mentions grassfed beef on this forum someone shoots 'em down. If you or someone close to you have never tried it, it would be fair to say your experience and knowledge base on the outcome is fairly limited. There are many, many successful grassfed beef farms all over this country who are out there laughing all the way to the bank and charging more per lb. for their beef than are the feedlot boys.

herfrds

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
beekissed it's not shooting him down for bringing up grassfed, but the fact that each part of the country is completely different.
Do you think we could do grassfed finished cattle up here in Montana?
Nope. They get sent south to be grass fed finished.
It depends upon the person raising the cattle. Grass is slow coming this year. There are still pastures in the mountains south of us covered in snow.

Sorry I don't know Salatin or their process, I just know what works out here.

Grass hay swathed, baled and put up for the winter. Along with hay barley and straw for bedding.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
herfrds said:
beekissed it's not shooting him down for bringing up grassfed, but the fact that each part of the country is completely different.
Do you think we could do grassfed finished cattle up here in Montana?
Nope. They get sent south to be grass fed finished.
It depends upon the person raising the cattle. Grass is slow coming this year. There are still pastures in the mountains south of us covered in snow.

Grass hay swathed, baled and put up for the winter. Along with hay barley and straw for bedding.
In less than a second Google yielded many sites in Montana where they have grassfed and finished beef. Look at this link:

http://www.eatwild.com/products/montana.html

Of course each part of the country is completely different! It doesn't mean Salatin's methods, of which you admittedly know nothing, cannot be adapted to other climes. If you cared to read his book you would find that his methods don't just involve placing cattle on a field and hoping the grass will grow well this year.

He actually has developed the soil and grass on his land for years, uses intensive rotational grazing methods, breeds for specific traits that do well on his graze-he doesn't just raise one breed but culls for certain traits in the breeds he has/produces. He also has taken time to establish reservoirs to hold water for drought months, utilizes native grasses instead of overseeding and has carefully fenced off riparian areas and woodlots that also help sustain healthy grasslands.

His approach is more than just using grass...he has a multidimensional approach to developing pasture, building rich soil, maintaining and breeding for cattle that do well on grass finishing, moving his cattle to fresh graze each day, parasite control with natural means, developing and preserving ponds from which to siphon water for his cattle.

I don't agree with everything the man says or does, by any means, but I've seen his farm, read his books, tried a few of the methods with my own little plot of land and have found them to yield results even on small scale.

I would think one would at least read up and become informed about how others are doing this in your area before pronouncing it cannot be done there. As the OP hasn't divulged his locale, one cannot even tell if his efforts would be advisable.

If you haven't even tried to adapt to using different methods, I can't imagine how you can say "what works out here" with any assurance. Montana used to be a "cattleman's paradise" when it was first settled and I'm sure they had no way to plow and produce grain on a large scale back then so I'm assuming them meant the rich grasslands they found there. If they once existed, they can again.

Funny thing is, the local farmers where I live say the exact same thing....."That wouldn't work here!" when Salatin and a growing number of bright young farmers are doing it right over the state line. :)

Royd Wood

Reaction score
Strictly grass + hay fed (NO GRAIN) lamb and beef is what we do here and I notice on the link bekissed there are a few Galloway herds in Montana :thumbsup.
Pasture management, choice of breed, investing in some really good purebred breeding stock and patience waiting for 2 winters - 26 to 30 months but the results are fantastic and demand is huge.

edited grass and HAY fed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts