Grass feeding is a success!

GD91

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Kinda don't know whether to feel annoyed or not. Started grass feeding about 2 months ago. My kits are now massive compared totheir siblings I gave to a ffriend.

Its free & I forage it. Grass, hay, weeds, bark & scrap greens. Safe shrubs etc, rabbits will eat anything.

My friends got her 2 on the excel rabbit plan which is expensive.
I was just feeding wagg rabbit food which was the cheapest I could find & apparently the worst thing I could feed.
Switched all the rabbits over when we switched the dogs onto HC diets.
Check out the PDSA website & RSPCA.

Saving me a fortune for. 20 rabbits. We aren't pasturing, the rabbits are still in their hutches.
Got vitamins provided & mineral stones, but the rabbits aren't really using them, they each have a branch Toto strip.
Just thought I'd post about it, Its costing me nothing & is a good, easy way to feed. Research it.

Kassaundra

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
How much are you feeding per rabbit???? I am trying to do that and am brand new to them only had them for a few days. I have been feeding so far, grass, red bud limbs/leaves, sunflower leaves, raspberry leaves, clover, comfrey leaves, lemon basil, and lambs quarters. All foraged for free in my yard.

GD91

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We just provide them with unlimited grass & hay. Surprisingly, when I go out & pull the grass, I actually now take a good long look...
It's long, stemy, wild grasses. Some of it is of course hay to.
I collect 3 bagfulls (plastic carrier bags) every 3 day's. You get a knack for pulling grass believe me lol.
So 3 bags for 3 days for 1 buck, a nursing doe & 6 ten week old kits.
Not much really, not when you think it's grass!

hoosiercheetah

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
This is really good to know! I don't think I could get a bag a day out of my 1/2 acre lot, but I can sure supplement pellets to keep cost down.

Have you observed whether rabbits who are offered both will prefer pellets or the grass?

Do you feed it fresh or dry it out?

I've done a little reading, and it seems most people doing this have several acres of waist-high grass and weeds. I have a tiny yard of kentucky bluegrass and thistle. Is there any hope for me?

Last edited:

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you don't have enough on your property you can always look into the fodder system. Buying the seeds still provides you with quite a bit of food for the cost :)
I supplement my buns with grass, weeds, and whatnot from our few acres. If you plant some different things and let a portion of your acre grow out, you might be surprised how much you get out of it :)
The buns all go nuts for the fresh stuff when it's available. They get it green all spring/summer/fall and I will also cut long portions and hang dry for the winter. Air drying retains more nutrition compared to sun drying, but both will work. You can always dry and bag up your lawn clippings...;)
ETA: Remember not to feed anything that has been exposed to chemicals and introduce new foods slowly to avoid digestive upset :D

hoosiercheetah

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
That sounds pretty good. I'll look into foddering - there are probably one or two corners I could let grow out. I like the idea of hang-drying things, and I have lots of good space for that.

Lots to think about; I'm glad I have a lot of time to do the research.

Kotori

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
if you can get the buns to eat them, the thistles are really good for them. I've hear about 24% protein and more minerals than grass due to the long roots. has anyone tried bringing the buns to pasture, like in a tractor?

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've had a serious problem feeding forage in their cages with boredom. I've found that they quickly gobble up all the grass they can fit in their bellies, and then have nothing to do with their time, so they get into trouble (chewing on the wire, racing around knocking everything over, stomping at the rabbits next door).

Kotori, I have some rabbit tractor stories that are important to know. General rabbit tractors info, and then this one has info on my trouble with coccidiosis on pasture but be careful, there are graphic photos on the thread.

David

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
if you garden cover crops are a great way to lower feed costs i use raddish/clover/mustard

GD91

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'd love to pasture mine. It wasn't possible. My garden is too small. However, I have developed a design where I have built the pens off the ground, but close enough that the grass etc can grow through and they can eat it. The little monsters strip most vegetation. They almost demolished 2 buddlias (butterfly shrub things).
I have to forage it for them. Gives greater peace of mind since I can sort through what is safe and what itsn't.
I just forage whilst I walk the dogs, kill two birds with one stone ;)

Latest posts