Grass for goats

capretta

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hey Everybody!
So we are moving our goats to a new house with us, and I have the opportunity (and want) to plant some grass in their new pen, as it's pretty much just dirt and some nubby weeds right now. So what I'm wondering, is what kind of seed should I throw down in their pen? If anything special at all. It's mid-mud-season right now, and I don't really know what's going to sprout up in their pen, but I think it's going to be mostly native grasses, which I know from experience my goats have no trouble eating :lol:

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
I recommend getting your farm stores best bag of weed seeds :lol: They will love all over the dandelions, plantains, and other stuff you wouldn't dream of actually planting on purpose but they don't do much with grass. We created a new pasture recently and I was going through the same thing, in all seriousness. I did toss down some grass seed, and some of it took root but I just let the rest fill in with weeds and they goats are happy campers.

EggsForIHOP

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Last year we bought a bag of seeds at TSC meant for seeding plots where you want deer to come...tossed it out in the little field we could easily irrigate and grew "the most expensive weeds in texas" (according to my husband)....I might have done wrong, but it seemed the goats LOVED it and all we had to do was move them off of it every so often and water and let it rest a few days...due to the drought here it beat the heck outta any other option...

Then we moved...I have enough "free weeds" right now to go around :) The goats skip over the grass, leaving it for the horses, and eat out the stuff the horses won't...

Island Creek Farm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I agree with the deer food plot mixes! They usually have peas, turnips, clover etc. I keep wanting to throw some out in our lightly wooded area, but the BF always "borrows" it during hunting season!

Mine don't eat "weeds", even in the horse pasture, but they will eat grass (even though some say goats don't graze, mine do!). Our pasture is russell bermuda with some long-season rye grass.

Latest posts