Grass forage?

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So I've been wondering....

Is there any problem with say just feeding rabbits entirely off harvested and pulled grasses, wild grasses, or lawn clippings (chemical free)?

In theory, there's a river like 2 miles from my house. I could in theory go there early before anyone is up and pick a bucket of the healthiest stuff available every other day.

And would this get you in trouble?

And also if you feed them lawn clippings, what's the limit on how man y days old the lawn clippings can be? (With horses if you do old lawn clippings that aren't immediately fresh you will end up with a colicky horse.)

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you are going to feed them foraged grasses/plants, you will want to make sure the plants haven't been sprayed with chemicals. Cut grasses should be fine but it will depend on how you store them. Hay is just cut grass that's been properly dried after all. If you dry the grasses it should be fine, but if they stay damp you are going to end up with mold/mildew which would make your rabbits sick.

If you aren't currently feeding them lots of greens, you will want to make the change in their diet gradually. Make sure you can see their droppings and keep an eye out for diarrhea.

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Its quite amazing how many things there are to think about and remember when you are dealing with another life, even if its a small one. o_O

Niele da Kine

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
There's a lot of things to think about and remember when dealing with another life especially because it's a small one and with a fast metabolism to boot. Bunnies are fairly delicate and if/when they get sick, they can get sick fast. But, when they start to heal, they can heal fast, too.

As for feeding grasses and such, check to make sure each type is suitable for bunnies and it hasn't been contaminated with chemicals. Try feeding them that way and see if they stay in condition and thrive.