Grass Tractor versus colony style management?

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I will go out of my way to hit a coon on the road if I see one. They will open most anything they can get their very dexterous hands on. Opened a locking hook and eye and maimed and killed a large pen of 1/2 grown bantam show birds once. Pulled wings off and legs off and only actually killed about a 1/2 dozen of the 30 some. Saved about 6-8 maybe. Caught the coons the next couple of nights. 2 got in and then ran out in the wired covered run and couldn't get out fast enough.... shot 'em. Got 2 more in the live trap & disposed of them. They tear feed bags open, open metal garbage cans if not weighted down..... HATE THEM. They will kill for fun not just to eat. As will any member of the weasel family......I have no use for senseless killing like that. One thing for the hawk to come and get a meat chicken and eat it, or a fox that carries off a chicken... but wanton killing just sets me off....

Last edited:

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I will go out of my way to hit a coon on the road if I see one. They will open most anything they can get their very dexterous hands on. Opened a locking hook and eye and maimed and killed a large pen of 1/2 grown bantam show birds once. Pulled wings off and legs off and only actually killed about a 1/2 dozen of the 30 some. Saved about 6-8 maybe. Caught the coons the next couple of nights. 2 got in and then ran out in the wired covered run and couldn't get out fast enough.... shot 'em. Got 2 more in the live trap & disposed of them. They tear feed bags open, open metal garbage cans if not weighted down..... HATE THEM. They will kill for fun not just to eat. As will any member of the weasel family......I have no use for senseless killing like that. One thing for the hawk to come and get a meat chicken and eat it, or a fox that carries off a chicken... but wanton killing just sets me off....
That trait of killing without need is....bizarre. Really weird.

Thanks for telling us. Sorry you had such adversity. It wouldn't be fun to have experienced all that damage.

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Winter about 16 years ago we had several snow storms back to back. All of a sudden dead cottontails were turning up around the neighborhood. Leg chewed off, maybe the stomach opened. Never the whole rabbit just pieces missing. We figured it was a weasel. Cats can't generally catch a grown one. Dog would have carried it off. We figured maybe a hawk or an owl but they would have eaten more and not a different one every day. The telling point was bite marks on the ears and face. Harassed to death.