Great article on bunny meds

dbunni

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Anybody who is not a member of ARBA may not have access to this article. In the latest issue of Domestic Rabbits, Jay E. Hreiz, VMD (Chairman of ARBA health committee) wrote an awsome article on First Aid in the Domestic Rabbit. I have scanned it (3 pages) and shipped to mom and a few others. If you would like a copy ... or if there is a way we could post it scanned here ... just let me know. It covers a lot of the basics and lists a great "first aid kit"! Boy was I glad to see all of it is on my site (but vet tech here!) ... plus a few...

dbunni

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
The one that just came out ... January/February 2011 ... with all the convention info in it...

tortoise

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Awww shoot! I just threw that one away!

dbunni

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Duhhhh.. :/ .. awsome article :) .

tortoise

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I never even saw it. I flipped through and it was all stuff about convention which I didn't care about... :he :rolleyes:

dbunni

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Don't feel bad ... so did my mom. She actually read the article, told me about it ... before I got mine. Then cleaned house! Sometimes we are way too efficient. That is why I have it scanned ...shipped it to her this morning!

chinbunny1

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
it was a good article. the only thing I disagree with is the part about enteritis. What he said/recommended doing doesn't always work, and it depends on what you are dealing with. Right now some rabbitries are going through epizootic enteritis, a european disease thats believed to be hitting the us. He seems to be one that refuses to recognize this disease, despite what people tell him about it. My rabbits went through it a couple of years ago. I lost many to it. None of the methods he suggested work, at the time he actually chalked the problem up to being the weather. Other then that, the rest of the info he provided on diseases was great.

Tex thomas recently lost a bunch of rabbits to the same disease. thankfully, we have breeders like him that got to bottom of the problem. Because I had thought it wasfeed when it hit mine. Basically the rabbit dies from bloat, and it jumps all over the barn like a contact disease. The only thing that is effective towards it are gut mobility drugs, and stemmy alfalfa hay. The bacteria tends to react to certain brands of feed.

Info on it.

http://www.raising-rabbits.com/epizootic-rabbit-enteropathy.html

Might be something worth saving in case you ever experience it. One thing my rabbits did not have was the extended stomache. some get it, some don't. Everything else fits though.

Mitransplant

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
chinbunny1

Tex Thomas recently lost a bunch of rabbits to the same disease. thankfully, we have breeders like him that got to bottom of the problem. Because I had thought it was feed when it hit mine. Basically the rabbit dies from bloat, and it jumps all over the barn like a contact disease. The only thing that is effective towards it are gut mobility drugs, and stemy alfalfa hay. The bacteria tends to react to certain brands of feed.

I live down the road from Tex and Tonna and am thinking about getting some rabbits from them. Do you think everything is alright and it would be safe to get some without risking loosing the rabbits to this?
As you can tell I am going to be a newby to raising rabbits so want to do things right and don't want to get attached to the little things only to loose them. I don't think he/they would sell me infected rabbits but ...... I need to learn everything I can about rabbits fast, May is almost here. Thanks!

Mitransplant

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
dbunni: If you have a way to get a copy of the article you were talking about on here or to me I would greatly appreciate it. I am getting baby rabbits in May and want to be prepared for anything and everything. THANK YOU.