Great Pyr size

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Glad they are getting some quality animals from reputable breeders with livestock

Last edited:

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm very happy with all of my dogs
Love them all
And I've never lost a goat to a predator
I sold 5 pups and all are successful and in good homes
So I guess for a backyard "breeder" I'm doing Ok

ETA: or am I a so called "breeder " LOL

IMO that term is used far too loosely.
I also know far many more responsible breeders that breed a few litters in their lifetime than breeders that have huge kennels and breed for a living.
Of course I have seen that in reverse too.
It is never a one size fits all.

Often the people who should breed because they are very conscientious often don't.

It does make me really sad how so many awesome LGD breeds are being bred for the pet world and the guardian part they want to breed out. :(

I realize I am getting older I love my laid back giants... I guess I won't ever get my Fila or My Black Russian- I don't have the energy for them...
My next dog will be a Newfoundland for "Little Bit" -

I will never get away from HAIR! Oh and I will get another Toli or type of toli. I miss Callie. OFA you'd have loved her- never one person met her and didn't.

Lynda V

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Oookay,lots of opinions,which is good. As for why I took the puppy so young,simple answer,I didn't know any better. I have been in contact with the breeder,asking what she would expect a 7 month old to weigh. She says anywhere between 50-70 lbs. in her experience. I've been to her farm and seen her adult dogs and they are all quite large. Don't know what to think at this point. Bottom line,I guess,is this is the pup I've got,I love him,he's doing a good job guarding my sheep,I'll get him the best care I can,and that's all I can do.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oookay,lots of opinions,which is good. As for why I took the puppy so young,simple answer,I didn't know any better. I have been in contact with the breeder,asking what she would expect a 7 month old to weigh. She says anywhere between 50-70 lbs. in her experience. I've been to her farm and seen her adult dogs and they are all quite large. Don't know what to think at this point. Bottom line,I guess,is this is the pup I've got,I love him,he's doing a good job guarding my sheep,I'll get him the best care I can,and that's all I can do.

Sounds like a good plan.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score

Sorry the thread sidetracked there...
Your boy looks healthy, he is growing... all good!

also... look at the first line in my signature... ;)

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I look at it like that's the dog I was supposed to have. I haven't gone shopping for any of the 4 dogs I have, they just sort of happened. You could have very easily picked another pup from the litter, but this is the dog that you are supposed to have. You now belong to him and he will love you until his dying day.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I look at it like that's the dog I was supposed to have. I haven't gone shopping for any of the 4 dogs I have, they just sort of happened. You could have very easily picked another pup from the litter, but this is the dog that you are supposed to have. You now belong to him and he will love you until his dying day.

I only replied to that so that it could be seen again. Awesome post.

Latest posts