Great Pyr size

Lynda V

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I just had my 7-month-old male Great Pyrenees weighed at the vet,and he is only 58 lbs. He is healthy in every way and has free access to food. The vet says that he will probably not reach 100 lbs. That's fine with me,as long as he's healthy,but I was surprised because both of his parents are large dogs and that's what I was expecting. Is there any reason to be concerned?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would be. 7months he should be anywhere from minimum 80 lbs- 100 lbs
How did you deworm him?
What was the breeders protocol for deworming?

Is he neutered?
What feed is he on?

How large was the litter?
How old was he when you got him?
Was he by chance the runt of the litter?

How is his digestion?
Are you sure he is a purebred pyr? There can be more than one sire to a litter.

Lynda V

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We got him when he was 7 weeks old and he had been dewormed three times by then. He was also dewormed during his new puppy visits to the vet. I feed him Diamond Naturals food for large breed puppies,which is what his breeder recommended. His digestion seems fine. He came from a litter of eight. I'm not sure if he was the runt. He looked the same size as his litter mates when we first saw him at 4 weeks old and again when we picked him up at 7 weeks. As to if he's a purebred,we have absolutely no reason to think he's not. He sure looks like one!

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
All are not massive dogs and some people feed them a ton, making them fat. Not brushing out the undercoat also makes them seem larger.
They are 80-95# dogs, lean & sleek when not fat n messy. At least the ones here sure are bred leaner.
Unless you felt through the coat to feel how much or how little fat was on the parents, you have no idea if 100 is right or wrong.
Some lines are smaller, some larger, just how it is.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have a 67 pound female that is small. But that doesn't stop her from being a darn good sheep and chicken guard. She is a death killer on snakes, possums and cats. There are coyotes all around, but they don't come here. Our male is 104 pounds, again, not a large dog, but he does his job. I would love to have a large Great Pyrenees, but mine are on the small side. I sure wouldn't kick your pup to the curb for his small size. His heart and will might be the biggest you ever see.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
That is pretty small, but it doesn't mean he is bad dog.

Was his fecal ever checked for cocci or giardia? What dewormer was used?
They can have something like that in their system, but it might not be a high enough load to cause apparent health issues be enough to cause a poor weight gain and growth.

How was his overall body condition?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
He was also dewormed during his new puppy visits to the vet.

picked him up at 7 weeks.

Unfortunately most pet vets or vets in general do not know the protocol for LGD pups and the length of time they should stay consistently dewormed.
All my dogs are dewormed every 3 weeks for a minimum of 16 weeks- usually 20 weeks is average for us.

Honestly the breeder should have never sold you the dog at that age- what is done is done but that is too young, it is also illegal in most states.

Now, on the flipside he could be a slow grower. And yes many pyrs are getting smaller and smaller. They can still do a great job with most predators.
Much depends on your land. predator type and load.

Pyrs can have intestinal issues so it is something to keep an eye on.

If he is growing still and "healthy" otherwise... don't worry.

We had friends that got a pyr pup at 7 weeks and he was 10 pounds! :th they started our deworming program and he grew- he grew a bit slow but he grew. He is not a tall dog but within the standard and tops about 105 lbs. He is perfect. :)

I don't ever underestimate smaller dogs- they have tenacity too! ;)

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
My boy is 3/4 pyr and 1/4 anatolian and he is pretty tall but only 105 lbs. Just figure it this way, you won't have to feed him as much as an adult. ;) I wouldn't worry as long as he is healthy. Most LGDs on family farms just need a good bark and an intimidating personality to do their job. With good fences most will never have to do hand to hand combat with anything bigger than a racoon.

Lynda V

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Yes,I now know that I should never have been given the puppy at so young an age,but,as has been pointed out,what's done is done. My dog was 11 lbs. at 7 weeks - I had no idea that that was small in any way. He had some very loose stools the first few weeks that I had him,and the vet did find worms,for which he was treated,and he didn't have any problems after that. My question now is,where do I go from here health-wise? Should I have him checked for worms again? Can anything be done now to help him grow? I am heart-sick that perhaps he didn't get the medical care that he needed :( Here he is. If anyone detects anything non-Pyr,let me know!
CIMG9609.JPG

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes,I now know that I should never have been given the puppy at so young an age,but,as has been pointed out,what's done is done. My dog was 11 lbs. at 7 weeks - I had no idea that that was small in any way. He had some very loose stools the first few weeks that I had him,and the vet did find worms,for which he was treated,and he didn't have any problems after that. My question now is,where do I go from here health-wise? Should I have him checked for worms again? Can anything be done now to help him grow? I am heart-sick that perhaps he didn't get the medical care that he needed :( Here he is. If anyone detects anything non-Pyr,let me know!
View attachment 38135
I don't know anything about Pyrenees but he is one stinking cute pup!