Great Pyrenees killing baby goats

Reaction score
Great Pyrenees killing baby goats I just purchased a great Pyrenees She is three years old. She has never been with goats but has been with cows. She killed two of my baby goats. I have removed her from the goat herd and I plan to find a pet home for her. She is pregnant and I was planning to wait until after she gives birth and weans her puppies to rehome her. I just went out to check on her a few minutes ago. I have a mama Havananese and her four puppies housed close to the great pyrenees. One of my puppies had gotten out of her cage and got into the cage with the Great Pyrenees. When I got there the Great Pyrenees had already killed the puppy and was eating it. I am now concerned about her own puppies. They are due in about three weeks. I am wondering if she will eat them as well. Any insight or suggestions comments etc. would be greatly appreciated thank you so much

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yikes, so sorry you are dealing with this. Ditto what @NH homesteader said. Why was the dog being sold? I am sure that @Southern by choice will have some more questions for you. My LGD puppy would probably "play" a baby goat to death but as an adult, no way. That is really really out of character for a Pyr.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm so sorry to hear your problems with your GP! I don't have answers for you - but I've got a :hugs.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hi Rhonda,
I see you found the public forum. Pm'ing was fine too.

As far as your situation there are so many factors here.

I am greatly concerned about the Pyrenees. I am very sorry for your loss with not just the goats but the pup as well.

When is the Pyr due?
What was she bred to?
How long have you had her?
What are you feeding her and how much?
Last vet check?

She needs to be secured and best to secure other animals from her.

I know lots of questions.... but there is not just "one" thing going on here.

Reactions: TAH
Reaction score
Hi Rhonda,
I see you found the public forum. Pm'ing was fine too.

As far as your situation there are so many factors here.

I am greatly concerned about the Pyrenees. I am very sorry for your loss with not just the goats but the pup as well.

When is the Pyr due?
What was she bred to?
How long have you had her?
What are you feeding her and how much?
Last vet check?

She needs to be secured and best to secure other animals from her.

I know lots of questions.... but there is not just "one" thing going on here.
Yes. Thank you for all of your help.She is due in about three weeks. I have only had her for about three Weeks. The previous owner could not keep her the pen while she was in heat she would constantly break out and one of the neighbors had threatened to kill her. While she was out she had multiple partners . I am feeding her Kirkland dry food. It is grain free and the Costco brand. This is a change from what she was previously on. I usually feed her once a day sometimes twice. She has not been to the vet since I have had her again only a couple weeks. She was up-to-date on everything