Great Pyrenees... **UPDATE W/PUPPY PICS on pg 8**

craftymama86

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'll have to get some pics but one of our GP, female, every once in a while her eyes will get real droopy looking and red. Is this normal??? My memory is horrible, I don't remember when we got her but we've had her since she was a puppy and she may be around.... a year old now. DH thought maybe it was a sign of her going into heat but honetly I don't have a clue but it's freaking me out!!! :ep Anyone know what is going on with her?

craftymama86

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Really? No one has any opinions?.... Guess I'll have to get pics next time they're red....

craftymama86

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I don't know if it would have any affect on her eyes but could she be having emotional issues?.... Our young billy has been trying to mate her :somad and along with the issues with her eyes she hasn't been acting the same. The day I took these pictures she kept hiding, under the shelter and in the spot shown in the second pic..... I'm really worried about her. And I would REALLY appreciate someones input. It's quite aggravating waiting so long for an answer when other posts are being replied to. Has no one else experience the with their female GP??

These don't show the red and barely show the droopiness but it's all I could get at the time. You can see though she looks sad. Not her usual self.

3545_img_3769.jpg

3545_img_3798.jpg

TTs Chicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Sorry :idunno I don't have any experience with that so I can't help. Hopefully someone who's seen this before will pop in and answer.

Rebbetzin

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have a Cane Corso, he is a "Mastiff type" just as the Great Pyrenees is... They do from time to time, seem to get red droopy eyes. Could be an allergy? We use regular artificial tear type drops in our dogs eyes when they get that way, to help keep the eye moist and hopefully prevent infection.

fortheloveofgoats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Red can sometimes be cherry eye. With her wanting to hide, is there any chance that she could be pregnant? If not, I would get her in. It could mean that she is really sick. Animals want to go off and be alone when something is wrong. Is she eating? Drinking? Have you pushed on her gums? If you do and the gums stay white after you move your finger, get her in. She is dehydrated. Have you checked her temp? You might want to check her whole body, there could be a hidden injury or she could have ticks. Check the inside of her ears too. I hope this helps. If it were me, I would be getting her in. PLEASE keep me updated. Hope all is ok.

craftymama86

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
There is a possibility of pregnancy. Her and the male are new to that area of their friendship but there was at least one moment we know of that he tried to make with her.

Eating... hmm... She usually is wanting attention from me while I'm up there in the fence but I have seen her eating.

I'll check the other things you asked and see if I find anything.

What's interesting is how quickly it comes and goes. It can be fine one moment and just a few minutes later be red and droopy and vice versa...

fortheloveofgoats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
craftymama86 said:
There is a possibility of pregnancy. Her and the male are new to that area of their friendship but there was at least one moment we know of that he tried to make with her.

Eating... hmm... She usually is wanting attention from me while I'm up there in the fence but I have seen her eating.

I'll check the other things you asked and see if I find anything.

What's interesting is how quickly it comes and goes. It can be fine one moment and just a few minutes later be red and droopy and vice versa...
Wow, well it sounds like you might have puppies on the way. Yes please do, and let me know. She seems so sad in the second picture. To be honest, I wouldn't be so worried about the eye. It could just be allergies or something getting in her eye. What I would be worried about, is her going off under the shelter. I would be keeping a close eye on her.

craftymama86

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Oh I hope she is pregnant, that would make me so happy! :love

I didn't get a chance to look at her yet, we have a doe who's due any day now so we got distracted with her. I'll take a look tomorrow. ;)

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
Could possibly she have allergies due to the weather? Is there any connection between weather changes and her eye becoming droopy and red. I know our Jake has allergies. When he gets a sneezing fit, he not only bangs his snot on the ground and I mean bang from the force of the sneeze, but he starts scratching his ears and rubbing his eyes and face into a pillow that is his. Which makes his eyes red and droopy.

Maybe this is the cause of your sweet girl? Just a thought.

BTW, two handsome LDG's.

K