Great Pyrenees... **UPDATE W/PUPPY PICS on pg 8**

Stubbornhillfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Poor Snow! She is doing a great job and she'll look like her beautiful self in no time. Those little rolly pollies are proof. They are so adorable and I can't believe how different they all look. What a great variety you have. Super cute little faces.

poorboys

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
beautiful!!!! we just had puppies too, can't wait for their eyes to open, everyones already sold so that is good. congrats.

craftymama86

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Oh wow, congrats! We have a friend who will be getting some goats so her and her husband will be getting a puppy and then we have 2 others interested but one isn't definite... But I'm ok with it b/c they're not even ready to leave, lol.

Grazer

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
They're so adorable! I wish I could smooch and hug them all!
I hope some of them will keep the spots around their ears, I think it really adds to Great Pyr's already beautiful faces
Poor Snow seems to be a really good mom but I'm sure she'll be relieved once all the pups have gone to their future owners lol

craftymama86

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Lol, I think all of us will be relieved when the pups go to their new homes. I hate seeing her so pitiful looking, lol.... It's also aggravating that people think she's malnourished and not taken care of. She has access to food all day but is still thin. So, yea, I'll be SUPER happy when the puppies are gone.

Grazer

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Yes I can totally understand how these comments would be annoying when the dog is so well taken care of. But I'm sure their concern comes from a good place :)
The fact that it's time to blow her coat isn't helping poor Snow's case either lol. But soon enough she'll be a pretty gal again with no hungry little mouths to feed all the time.

craftymama86

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Grazer said:
Yes I can totally understand how these comments would be annoying when the dog is so well taken care of. But I'm sure their concern comes from a good place :)
The fact that it's time to blow her coat isn't helping poor Snow's case either lol. But soon enough she'll be a pretty gal again with no hungry little mouths to feed all the time.
Oh, no one on here has said anything. It's been others, some who don't even have dogs. As long as no one is bad-mouthing me I'm ok, lol. They are already thin dogs to begin with, they have a lot of hair.... Kinda like my Angora rabbits, LOL.

Grazer

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
@ craftymama86
Sorry, I was actually referring to people in real life :D I knew you didn't mean people online, but I thought you perhaps meant neighbors or people passing by etc and making those comments?
Btw, in case you would prefer if your dogs would put up some weight you could start out with the so called "satin balls" for a while.

I do remember hearing that free feeding can make dogs skinnier because they can get picky, stop eating as much and then just graze a little the whole day. I don't know if it's true though, since I've never free fed my dogs.
I assume you're feeding your dogs kibbles? If the kibbles are not grain free, you could try to switch to grain free kibbles (like for instance Nature's Domain at Costco that costs around 30 dollars for a 35 pound bag).
It always seems to me like grain-free dog food helps dogs be in a better shape.
Then you could spread their meal in to 3 smaller meals a day (to prevent bloating) and add some meat scraps to their food to make it even more appealing.
You could also just to be sure (in case you haven't already done that of course) rule out any medical condition by having your vet take a blood test, look for parasites etc.