Green Acres Farm - LA

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I prefer egg in mine. I have never used the liquid nitrogen so can't address that but I have been making homemade ice cream for over 40 years so I think I have tried every recipe that there is. We just bought a new freezer where you keep the can in the freezer and you don't need salt and ice. We had one before but it stopped freezing so decided it was time for a new one. We just used it this weekend but didn't milk goat milk ice cream...I made cherry buttermilk gelato.

The thing about egg is that my old recipe is raw egg which isn't in vogue anymore so now I have to cook the mixture and let it cool and then freeze. Requires more thinking ahead.

Farmer Connie

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I would not make the decision until seeing them in person.
Check their health out. Pull down eye lids and check for anemic. Body weight, hips, hoofs.
Photos always look pretty. Just test the water before diving in.
:)

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I prefer egg in mine. I have never used the liquid nitrogen so can't address that but I have been making homemade ice cream for over 40 years so I think I have tried every recipe that there is. We just bought a new freezer where you keep the can in the freezer and you don't need salt and ice. We had one before but it stopped freezing so decided it was time for a new one. We just used it this weekend but didn't milk goat milk ice cream...I made cherry buttermilk gelato.

The thing about egg is that my old recipe is raw egg which isn't in vogue anymore so now I have to cook the mixture and let it cool and then freeze. Requires more thinking ahead.
My FIL makes a lightly lemon flavored ice cream at Christmas. He makes an egg custard as "one" of the ingredients. It is quite good.

Raw eggs is common in home icecream recipes, but the old way in my family was always to cook them (custard). It can be time consuming and I usually just use raw eggs--up to a dozen if I don't mind a yellowish icecream like French vanilla. A fair substitute if one is afraid of salmonella, is to use pasturized eggs from the store, either liquid or in the shell. In-the-shell pasturized eggs will generally be marked with a circled 'P' both on the carton and each individual egg.
eggs.png

30-egg-carton-2-300x200.jpg

I am certainly no "all natural, 100% organic, chem-free, gluten free, no antibiotics, free range, 100% all natural, zero preservatives" paranoid hypochondriac but I have seen salmonella in humans up close..it's not pretty, but I still prefer whole eggs to the liquid versions, even tho you can now get pasteurized liquid whole eggs, liquid egg whites, and liquid egg yolks.
http://www.vanderpolseggs.com/news/page/3/

Last edited:

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I would not make the decision until seeing them in person.
Check their health out. Pull down eye lids and check for anemic. Body weight, hips, hoofs.
Photos always look pretty. Just test the water before diving in.
:)
What post are you replying to?

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
OMG.. I replied to a post from 2016! Begining of this thread..
Oh wow.. Box 1..

It was after midnight.. I was not very observant obviously.. My bad...
:hide
How did your decision go?
I'm not sure... Will you copy and paste the post?

Latest posts