Green Snot in 75% of my kids (and a few moms)

Griffin's Ark

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Today I was supposed to go help a guy with his Boer herd give injections for what appears to be contagious scours and I woke up to a green snot fest! I used up all of my LA-200 and have ordered a 500ml bottle. What I am not getting is the rapid onset. I have to go get some snot and have it cultured, but I am thinking Pasturella... Any body with any thoughts on that?

Chris

Chirpy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hi Chris - Sorry, I have no idea how to help you but I hope you can figure it out quickly and your goats are all better soon.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Off the bat, green snot sounds like pneumonia setting up.. It's not something I'd mess around with, though I've seen harmless snot (cold, allergies, dusty hay, etc) appear to be green from foraging or eating bright green alfalfa..

You're several hundred miles east of me...any chance you guys saw the same drastic weather change we have over the last few days? It went from full-on summer to feeling like mid/late October literally overnight.. Got damp, too..

Ours didn't go snotty, though I was sorta expecting it to happen. :idunno

Good luck!

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Pneumonia crossed my mind too. Listen to their lungs, either by putting your ear close or by stethoscope and see if they are raspy.

Griffin's Ark

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Yep CM we did have that weather. I knew it would affect a few, but not most. None had temps and they all mostly look good today.

F. K. One adult is sounding a little raspy, but the kids came back real quick. After seeing the first one with the snot yesterday I thought Pneumonia, but when I saw so many I started to think a faster moving pathogen. Since I spend several hours a day with all the goats, I would/should have noticed a slower onset.

I am thinking now it was the weather. They all got treated for Pneumonia, and Friday they are all getting Pasturella vaccines. Right now we are doing real good compared to the rest of the local goat herders. I have several nearby me that have lost upwards of 10 goats each this year. Just to much moisture and everyone was sitting back on their laurels 'cause it has been so dry. Cocci is running rampant! I stayed ahead of it though and the other little nasties and still lost 2 goats and a lamb.

Just another day on the farm!

Chris

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
With the right weather conditions pneumonia can hit animals pretty fast too. We had it in the calves a couple of summers ago. It came pretty fast and hit all of them at pretty much the same time. I ended up moving them out of the hutches and outside pens and putting them in the barn with fans set up to move the air. It was hot and still outside and that was the cause.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Good deal, man.. Without a fever, I guess I'd probably just call it nasal congestion or something...a cold, whatever. I know I was sounding a little rough come Monday morning after being up and out in the field till about 4am Saturday night/early Sunday with an ill animal.. I suppose goats get stuffy noses, too. :idunno

We've been super wet here, too...I've had two with hoof scald and one went and came down with "rain rot" on me. She's getting better, but it took a while to figure that one out. For a while, I honestly thought that either the LGD or the other goats were chewing on her and making her scab over....:hu (In my defense, she does get picked on a lot. :gig)

Gardens are loving all this rain, though.. :celebrate

Glad to hear everyone's doing better today!

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
cmjust0 said:
Good deal, man.. Without a fever, I guess I'd probably just call it nasal congestion or something...a cold, whatever. I know I was sounding a little rough come Monday morning after being up and out in the field till about 4am Saturday night/early Sunday with an ill animal.. I suppose goats get stuffy noses, too. :idunno

We've been super wet here, too...I've had two with hoof scald and one went and came down with "rain rot" on me. She's getting better, but it took a while to figure that one out. For a while, I honestly thought that either the LGD or the other goats were chewing on her and making her scab over....:hu (In my defense, she does get picked on a lot. :gig)

Gardens are loving all this rain, though.. :celebrate

Glad to hear everyone's doing better today!
Would you please send some of that rain here? Things are getting pretty dry! Brown lawns and crops calling for rain-can't cry, it's to dry.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Farmer Kitty said:
Would you please send some of that rain here? Things are getting pretty dry! Brown lawns and crops calling for rain-can't cry, it's to dry.
If only I could.. I think my little UC case buckling could do with a few dry, hot days...get him really moving some water through his system.

This cool, damp, rainy stuff isn't helping him a bit. :he

Latest posts