greenfamilyfarm's Journal - Nubian Kids are HERE! Pictures Up

greenfamilyfarms

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
First 10 Questions:

1. What state/province/country are you in and what is your climate like?
We live in SE NC, about a hour from the coast. We generally have a mild climate, but there are some really hot summer days and cold winter days still. Very rarely do we get a significant amount of snowfall. Our biggest threat is from hurricanes.

2. How many people are in your family? Marital status?
We're a traditional family. My husband, James, is a Paramedic and I, Kandace, am a substitute teacher. We have a little girl born 10/6, Isabella.

3. How would you define your farm?
For now, we have 3 acres of small, hobby farm. About an acre is fenced off for pasture and the rest is for gardening, etc.

4. What would you do with your spare time if you had any resources you needed?
I would really put time into getting my dairy started. Right now it's just a thought and a dream.

5. Have you ever built a house, barn , or other types of building? Do you want to?
We have remodeled a greenhouse into a kidding shed, but we haven't built anything from scratch... yet. I would LOVE to have a good sized barn with a loft and stalls.

6. Can you weld? Steel, aluminum, MiG, TiG, stick, Oxy-Acet?
Nope, but my hubby, Daddy, and Grandfather can.

7. Who or what inspired you to be a farmer/rancher, hobby farmer?
I grew up around animals and next door to my Grandpa's farm. He raises Angus cows, so I helped bottle raise and doctor some calves for him during the summer when I wasn't in school. We also helped out in the garden with planting, harvesting, and canning.

8 Is it a hobby or an occupation?
Some of both. Right now it seems more of a hobby since we have young goats and young chickens, but we do make a little money off selling eggs and soaps.

9. In what areas are you knowledgeable and in what areas would you like to learn more?
I would like to think I know a pretty good amount about raising chickens, but I can't claim to know everything. There are still some things I'm learning about through research and personal experience to know what works and what doesn't. I would like to learn more about more natural ways of raising animals, but not necessarily organic farming.

10. In what types of farming will you never choose to do?
Commercial farming! The strains of animals they use to produce food for the general population is just pitiful.

greenfamilyfarms

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Pictures of some of our critters

Trolley, 3 year old Great Pyrenees we purchased from a farming family outside of Pigeon Forge, TN:
327_dscn4543_trolley.jpg

Piper, 2 year old Great Pyrenees from a local farm. She's due to whelp in about a week in this picture:
327_dscn4559_piper1.jpg

Piper is much better with young goats than Trolley. Trolley tends to get overly excited around them and scares them. However, Trolley is a much better protector - he'll even chase low-flying planes and buzzards across the pasture.

Pee Dee, 10 month old Nubian buck. He's very quite and reserved, but not aggressive or shy. He would much rather you just talk to him than pet him. My boy is growing up.
327_dscn4544_peedee.jpg

Flo (Florence), 10 month old experimental doe - 75% Alpine, 25% LaMancha. She looks just like an Alpine, but with LaMancha ears. She's the loudmouth of the pasture.
327_dscn4545_flo1.jpg

Jaz (Jasmine), 8 month old Nubian doe. She's at the bottom of the totem pole, poor girl. She was born a preemie and we never disbudded her since we was fragile from the start. We lost her twin sister (who was almost identical to her). If she were a wether, I would train her to pull a cart. Everytime I go into the pasture with my garden cart she comes running and walks next to me as I pull the cart.
327_dscn4554_jasmine1.jpg

Drama Mama (on left), 4 year old production-quality Boer doe. She earned her name when she was younger because she was always causing some drama around the farm. She is our herd queen, of course. He consistently produces dark-headed kids when bred to a FB Boer. This year she's bred to Pee Dee, our Nubian.

Bunny (on right), 3 year old production-quality Boer doe, who we believe has some Spanish or Nubian in her somewhere down the line. She kidded the first time last Feb and had a HUGE udder. We may try to milk her next kidding. She's also bred to Pee Dee.
327_380799_299750550054900_151816374848319_1133624_395182032_n.jpg

And, some pictures of our Buff Orpingtons. The only one who has a name is Midas, our rooster. The others are just too hard to tell apart. We also have some Wheaten Ameraucanas - I'll try to get some pictures of them loaded shortly.
327_dscn4549_fluffybutts.jpg

327_dscn4562_midas1.jpg

327_dscn4569_buffhen1.jpg

We have a Facebook page - check us out.

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing pics and stories of all your awesome animals.

K

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
thanks for sharing. I would say it is very likely that Bunny has 1/8th nubian in her. If not 1/4th. she looks just like some of ours.