Greetings from North Central Arkansas

Ponker

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Glad to have found the site. I've become a sponge for everything livestock related lately. I read myself to sleep about pasture grass/legume mixtures.

We started our little farm with no experience in agriculture. The books can only give you so much and the rest is hands-on. Its a wild ride with ups and down but I wouldn't change the life for anything. Our farm was founded in July and the first animals were the Muscovy Ducks. We bought ten small ones and raised them til they were old enough to put 4 of the 6 drakes into the freezer as our first raised food. Costly but the eggs and other ducklings coming will be worth it. Then we ventured into rabbits and then sheep... then in late October the day old chickens came! They lived IN THE HOUSE for a month then we moved them to the barn and finally, to the coop where they happily reside today.

We were blessed to have wonderful neighbors who are willing to share their knowledge with us. They are in their seventies and raise hair sheep, chickens, coon dogs, and rabbits... homing pigeons...

Now we found this page to gain exposure so were not alone in our adventure.

Ponker

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings @Ponker from the front range in Colorado :frow Welcome to BYH! There's a wealth of shared experience and info here in the threads, and a great group of folks who will help you along in any way they can... all you have to do is ask! Most folks have chickens (the gateway animal that gets most started on their journey) and BYH has a sister site called Backyard Chickens if you weren't already aware of it. If you look over there ---> you'll see links to the sister sites. There's also one for gardening and self sufficiency. We all thrive on pictures so if you have a few you can share, please do! Get comfy and look around:caf. Jump in when you're ready! Anyway, welcome again, and glad you could make it!

HoneyDreameMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
:welcome My family also started our little farm with the help of good books and good neighbors ... and good YouTube videos. ;) You will find this forum invaluable! I've received advice regarding everything from chickens and goats to livestock guardian dogs and fencing.

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from Ohio! Sounds like you've done quite a lot already, looking forward to pictures - what kind of sheep do you have, and what do you raise them for?

Ponker

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Welcome from Ohio! Sounds like you've done quite a lot already, looking forward to pictures - what kind of sheep do you have, and what do you raise them for?
We raise Finnsheep and Katahdin crosses. The Finnsheep we hope to market wool and sell registered lambs and hopefully, breeding pairs. We'll know after Kaarina lambs. She's holding out and is big as a house! The hair sheep we will sell lambs for meat.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from northeast Texas. We have 4 Dorper/Katahdin ewes who just had 5 lambs. We are new to sheep and having fun with them.

Post pictures of your sheep, PLEEZZEE!!

Ponker

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ok, I'll take some photos today and post. Its pretty muddy here with the ice/rain/snow and freeze/melt!

Latest posts