Greetings from ozarks & question on orphan kids

farmer mike

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm in the Missouri ozarks.

Today I found my oldest doe had died leaving 5 week old twins. She produced a lot of milk and was losing body condition, but didn't think she was doing that bad so it caught me by surprise. The kids are foraging some, I'd welcome any advice on whether they need bottle feeding and if so how much. I have other does in milk, that said none of them have been milked before and I don't have a stanchion so I imagine milking them will be a bit of a struggle. Thanks all.

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes try to get them on the bottle, whole cows milk that you get at the grocery store works great , be sure to heat it up like moms milk. May take you a bit to get them on the nipple, but once they realise what it is, they will run to you when they see you comming...you can use regular baby bottles...
You may be able to get enough milk out of your other goats,....but cows milk works for sure. At 5 weeks a Nigerian dwarf will drink 10 oz 3x day...what kind of goats are they ?
Also, you may want to check their eyelids and gums to see if they are a bright redish pink or if they are white, their mom may of had a parasite bloom after kidding and you want to check kids for parasites.
Sorry your doe died, that is always a sad loss....for you and your family :(
Welcome to BYH...we are happy to answer any questions you have, there are some awesome and very knowledgeable people here....welcome:)

Last edited:

farmer mike

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thank you for the quick and thorough information. They are kiko goats. I'll check the eyelids and pick up some milk. A mennonite neighbor sells raw cows milk.

Oops, I thought I'd sent my note above but I ran off to get milk before sending it. Now I have more information. I tried to get them to nurse, they sucked a little and lost interest. Their bellies were quite full so perhaps one of their older sisters is letting them nurse. I'll be able to figure it in the daylight tomorrow morning.

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Don't use the raw milk from the cow use store bought WHOLE milk....kikos will drink more than 10 oz per feeding.....their gut is probably full of brouse, do you have hay out for them , that will help with gut health. Check their eye lids and see if you can post a picture, pull the top lid high so you get a good look...are the pooping good berries ? Or clumpy poop ?
I will check back in the morning and see if you have anything here....good luck :)

Last edited:

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
I can't really help much with goats but just wanted to say hello and welcome to BYH!! :frow

Latest posts