Grey Wolves back in the news.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The Grey Wolves were removed from the endangered species list earlier this year. It meant that under certain circumstances it was legal to shoot them. Now that has been reversed and it will no longer be legal to shoot them. It is the Humane Society behind it.

http://www.waow.com/Global/story.asp?S=9100499&nav=menu1360_2
http://www.weau.com/news/headlines/29991054.html

They are claiming that there are to few of numbers for them to come off the endangered list. Even our DNR (which has a problem with under counting) says there are to many in our state(540 wolves). There have been livestock deprevation problems. I believe they said on the radio something like 200 cattle killed and 40 wolves shot since the wolves came off the list.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
A month ago we had a wolf where the red X is.

Farmphoto-forwolfpost-1.jpg

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
now thats to close.that would be a dead wolf if a clear shot was there.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It went into the corn field.

But, you're right that is to close. That is in the heifer pasture.

dacjohns

Just born
Reaction score
I lived near Medford (Chelsea) last year and wolves were nearby in the forest. I also saw one further north near by Park Falls.

Wolves can be a problem. If I was a wolf and had a choice between a slow moving beef and a fast moving deer or elk I would probably choose the beef. Short of putting up a 10 foot chain link fence, and that may not work, there isn't much you can do against wolves.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So far, we haven't lost any we could prove was to wolves. We have had 2 calves born on pasture that disappeared without a trace but, couldn't prove anything. Then there was a heifer that was injured. She appeared to have been hamstrunged but, again prove it.

It's deer hunting season here, I wonder how many wolves are disappearing-not enough!

Imissmygirls

Lonley for cows
Reaction score
Just heard today at work that deerhunters killed 2 coyotes on a local farmette. Southeastern PA.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Here they hunt coyotes. Winter time with snow on the ground the hunters get the dogs out and away they go!

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Here in SD it's fun to call coyotes with a predator call. There are lots of calls that work, but the dying rabbit seems the most popular. One of my friends had a coyote about 3 feet from him, but it came up behind him and he didn't get a shot off. Heavy cover. We occasionally have a cougar come through here, and often see moose. The county just north of us in ND has a moose season.

backforty

Just born
Reaction score
I live in the Medford/Chelsea area and I agree the wolves are moving in. There was a pack 2 miles from our place a month ago and I've seen huge tracks in our back field. Theyre a big farm north of us about 35 miles that had a wolf come in there front yard and try to carry there 12 yr old black lab away. The lady ran out of the house and had to beat the wolf off her dog with a bat. Scary especially with my little kids!