GriffinWoodsRanch 2021-2022 Bees

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
Installed my first nucleus on Sunday Sept 5th. Capped brood and uncapped larva present. White marked queen was released into nuc.

Hive A, 1 Deep
- 4 brood w pollen frames
- 1 honey w pollen frame
- 3 brand new wax foundation w fishing line support
- Syrup feeder w ~1/3 gal 1:1
- 1/4 lb pollen patty
20210905_124253.jpg

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would like to have bees when I get the fruit trees moved for next year... but I cannot wrap my mind around taking care of them. Hope to find a bee keeper that needs a place to maybe put a hive and can get some honey... don't even mind buying it... but would like to offer a place for them to pollinate my trees in exchange for maybe some honey???
Fencing is on my list of things for here also.... to keep in chickens and a few calves maybe too for some summer grazing? And to keep in a dog because of the road being sooooo busy... and the dog will keep the deer out I hope.

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
Did a quick inspection last night. The 3 frames of wax foundation fell down. The bees stored the syrup so out of room again. I will go back in tomorrow with some partially drawn frames to replace the empties that were wax foundation. Need to ensure bees have room for brood or they will swarm.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
We bought a jar of honey from a man that said it was from his fruit trees. It is light golden in color. It has a peach aftertaste, never tasted anything like it. So good!

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's neat... I will have over 10-12 peach trees when they get moved and 6-8 pears and a few that I am pretty sure are cherries and a few apples.... sweet honey.......

CLSranch

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
This thread is to track start of my apiary.

Contents
Hive A Install
Congrats. After years of researching and trying to catch a swarm I bought some last winter and got them this spring.

And isn't it a little (a lot) late to install a nuc vs. getting an established nuc or small hive. And I wouldn't worry so much right now about the swarming vs. just making it over the winter. I know you are south but it was -11 last year in Ft. Worth. Just my .02$

I would like to have bees when I get the fruit trees moved for next year... but I cannot wrap my mind around taking care of them. Hope to find a bee keeper that needs a place to maybe put a hive and can get some honey... don't even mind buying it... but would like to offer a place for them to pollinate my trees in exchange for maybe some honey???
Fencing is on my list of things for here also.... to keep in chickens and a few calves maybe too for some summer grazing? And to keep in a dog because of the road being sooooo busy... and the dog will keep the deer out I hope.
It can be a lot less work than you think. Depends on your wanted outcome.

I see a lot of people who do a lot of work to get more honey. But if I note "I" have to make and feed that much sugar water in the spring so I can make up for what I took last winter and will take this summer/fall then I'll just leave it and they will be happier next year anyway. On that note I did feed for over a month to get mine started. They came after the tree's bloomed.

Best O' luck to ya Margali.

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
And isn't it a little (a lot) late to install a nuc vs. getting an established nuc or small hive. And I wouldn't worry so much right now about the swarming vs. just making it over the winter.
I'm not sure what you mean about nuc vs established nuc. I got a full 5 frame nuc with nurse bees, queen, etc. I just moved them from transport box into my woodenware. I got the nuc cheap because it IS a gamble. However, the fall flower flow just started where I'm at. We have another about 2 months before it gets too cold for bees to fly.

Latest posts