Groaning Llama

ca

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We started working with our two llamas. We put the halter on and then take one at a time for a little walk through the corral. That works really well with the 12 year old who had obviously previous training. She knows the command "follow" and only requires a little tugging every now and then.
The 10 year old is another story. I don't think she has ever been trained. First she does not like to be separated from her mother and then she is not a big fan of being close to "stinkin humans". So it's a two person job. Hubby up front with command "follow" and tugs if she does not move, me at her butt (on the side :D) touching her legs with a whip if she does not move. She is making GREAT progress but is still moaning and groaning the whole way. Is that normal??? It's a funny sound and very constant.
Are we doing the right thing by just not letting her get away with anything? We just continue our tour until we decide it's over. She is then pretty pissed but will come for treats a couple of hours later no problem.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Why not make it easy on yourself and walk her with her mom? Since it is a two person job anyway, why not walk both llamas at the same time. Then she will learn to walk on the lead and just keep working with her and eventually try walking her alone again.

ca

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
ksalvagno said:
Why not make it easy on yourself and walk her with her mom? Since it is a two person job anyway, why not walk both llamas at the same time. Then she will learn to walk on the lead and just keep working with her and eventually try walking her alone again.
We tried that in the beginning as well. She just does not want humans to tell her what to do. I am not all that familiar with llama personalities but I am feeling a little bit that she is profiting more from having to go through it alone.
I went back to the area last weekend where we bought them and to my great shock I now heard stories about the owner getting hurt because the llamas were so uncooperative! Why not tell us that before we get them? We would have still taken them as I am convinced we can handle it. But it's not very polite. They obviously have not been handled enough. Well the lazy dasy are over now.
I also learned in the meantime that that groaning/whining sound seems pretty normal. A lot of Alpacas on several farms I visited do that pretty much for no reason. I was told the animals will screetch if they are really unhappy.

We'll just keep up bugging her until we all come to a mutual agreement that this is actually fun :D.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
You may want to try Camelidynamics by Marty McGee Bennett or Gentle Spirit Training by Cathy Spalding. Both are nice methods that can work really well on harder to handle llamas/alpacas.

TGreenhut

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Groaning is normal in situations like that. It just means she is a little nervous/unhappy.

ca

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks! It's always good to get another opinion. We have gotten to know her a little better and she is indulging us a little more... Uphill climb but we are anthusiastic and just love her :D.