1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Nice to see some Back Yard Chickens members here. Let's feature one this week. - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Growing Fodder for Goats & other Farm Animals

Discussion in 'Natural and Organic Husbandry' started by Vflowing, Jul 5, 2014.

1. Sep 1, 2014
    Tea Chick

Tea Chick Ridin' The Range

Great pictures, BTW.

2. Sep 2, 2014
    Bossroo

Bossroo True BYH Addict

Fermented fodder feed may be good for all animals' digestive systems, but the question is WILL THEY EAT IT ? Example: a company started a fermented fodder feed enclosed in a sealed plastic bag. They had testimonials from "customers" as to how their animals relished eating it, and after eating it for a month, how healthy their animals looked, etc. Dairymen feed it to thousands of dairy cows quite successfully , so I tried it. Guess what ... NOT A ONE of my 33 horses would even eat ONE BITE of the stuff , just smelled it, snorted, and walked away even when NOT being fed for 2 days. So, I gave the stuff to someone who had a couple hogs. :idunno

3. Sep 4, 2014
    Tea Chick

Tea Chick Ridin' The Range

If it doesn't work...Wacha gonna do, right? :-/

4. Sep 21, 2014
    Vflowing

Vflowing Chillin' with the herd

Fermented Barley is actually becoming beer, not sure the goats should eat that besides it gets slimy and has no root mass for fiber. Sorry it took so long to answer...

5. Sep 21, 2014
    norseofcourse

norseofcourse Herd Master

How many different grains have people tried? I have someone advertising rye seed on my local CL, $10 for a bushel, about 56 pounds, I've thought about getting some to try.

I see someone here tried flax, how did it turn out? Anyone ever try millet?