growing/mixing own feed?

ohiogoatgirl

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
i would like to mix my own feed and eventually grow it all.
anyone have a "recipe"?

emilypaonia

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I mix my own grain- all organic. Probably not exact, but this is what I have found works best with what I can get locally or from my co-op.

I soak organically grown whole barley (bought from local farmers) for either 12 hrs (summer) or 24 hours (winter). If it soaks too long and begins to sprout or smell "sprouty" they don't like it. About 3 lbs per goat. 1 lb for maintenance, 1 lb per 1/2 gallon milk production (I think I got those numbers from Story's guide). My goats are not aggressive grain eaters, I don't worry much about them overeating it. If they decide they are finished, then the rest goes to the chickens. The doelings and buck don't get much grain, only a little sample. I mix in about 1/2 cup sunflower seeds, 2 tbsp ground flax, splash (about 1 tbsp) olive oil, and a little polenta (corn grits, dry, not cooked). Then I add herbs depending on season or what that particular goat needs - nettles, comfrey, raspberry leaf, motherwort, wormwood, etc. Oh and also 1 tbsp of Hoeggers Herbal Tonic gets mixed in. Sometime a little molasses, but they are not crazy about molasses as I have heard some goats are. Apples or carrots or other goatie kitchen scraps too.

I would like to find a way to get some hemp seed in there - I have read amazing things about hemp seed as animal feed, but the only way we can get it is expensively shipped in from Canada, and I don't even know if that is possible. Anyone know more about the benefits of hemp seed as animal feed and where I can get it?

Around here I can't find any organic mixes, and I am committed to raising my animals as organic as possible, so this works for me and seems to work for them. I buy flax seeds, sunflower seeds, polenta as human grade food from the co-op. Sometime it seems they eat better than we do - hah! But then I get to drink that powerful milk.

They also get Hoegger's herbal wormer once a month for three days around the full moon.

Also free choice kelp and Golden Blend Minerals, both from Hoegger. They have free range access to brush/scrub land with lots of goodies - siberian elm, willow, rose, cottonwood, etc, and also alfalfa/grass pasture. Mostly alfalfa hay, mixed with grass hay and oat hay.

It is a bit more expensive and time consuming to mix my own feed, but to me it is worth it, and I can sell my milk for a lot more than other folks around here, because it IS better.

Last spring I had my first doelings raised on this diet from mom's on this diet before and during pregnancy - they are big, strong, healthy looking goats, I am excited to see their kids!

emilypaonia

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Also forgot to mention Apple Cider vinegar in their water seems to work nicely for them.

I just looked at the website provided by Crown of Thorns. I loved the idea of winter peas, and tried them for a while a few months ago, but the girls just kind of picked around them.

ohiogoatgirl

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
interesting... :p
i've sorta been avoiding the sprouted stuff as feed.... seems rather annoying to have to play with the food the day or two before i even feed it... :/ :idunno
so far i'm gonna be growing sunflower seed, indian corn, dry beans, peas, mangels, parsnips, and carrots for the goats.
can they eat spinach, parsely, radishes, broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts? just wondering becuase they are some new garden stuff and i wasn't sure if any of them were not good for goats. and i'm looking into comfrey and other herbs added to feed. anyone use specific herbs?

AlaskanShepherdess

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
The only common garden veggie I can recall that goats aren't supposed to have is cabbage, but .. er em... mine have done fine with it... :rolleyes: Also they shouldn't have nightshades ('taters and 'maters) not sure if that's the fruit or just the leaves, roots etc.

For herbs... I'm still new at this and I'm constantly changing it, but here is what my Nigerian Dwarf's get every day.

Grain Mix (sprouted): 4parts Barley, 2parts Whole Oats, 1part Black Oil Sunflower Seeds.

Milkers: 1lb Grain Mix (am), 1lb Alfalfa (pm), All Top Dressings(am) and Pregnant when needed (pm).

Dry, Pregnant: 1lb Grain Mix, All and Pregnant Top Dressing.

Dry: 1lb Grain Mix, All Top Dressing.

Bucks: .50lb with All Top Dressing. 1lb during breeding season.

Kids to 6 mo: .50lb with halved All and Kids

Top Dressings:
All: 2.24t Kelp, 1T Apple Cider Vinegar or Kombucha Vinegar, 2t BlackStrap Molasses, 2t Comfrey Leaf, 1t Rosehip Powder, 2t Brewers Yeast, 2t Wheat Germ, 1t Wheat Grass Powder, .25t Cayenne Pepper

Pregnant does: 2t Red Raspberry Leaf, 2t Nettle Leaf. Last month of pregnancy increase to 1T Red Raspberry Leaf, and add .50t Kop-Sel.

Kids: 1t GI Sooth.

If any goat shows signs of sickness or feeling unwell then add 2 cloves fresh pressed garlic to top dressing until symptoms disappear.

Any goat showing symptoms of copper or selenium deficiency gets .50 tsp Kop-Sel until signs disappear.

Our7Wonders

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
My feed routine is similar to yours C of T.

I mix equal parts organic whole oats and organic whole barley for their grain.

Their basic feed mix right now is 1 cup of the above grain, 1/3 cup BOSS, 1/3 cup beet pulp, and 1/3 cup Calf Manna. They get this morning and night.

Their morning supplements that are added are 1 Tbsp raw ACV, 1 Tbsp kelp, 1 tsp Diamond V yeast XPC, 500-1000 mg Vit C powder, and 1 tsp powdered dandelion/nettle powder. For the last month of pregnancy they've also been getting a vitamin E capsule squeezed over their feed, 1/4 cup RRL, 1 Tbsp rose hips, and a couple liberal shakes of cinnamon from my shaker bottle. Every other day I drizzle a little blackstrap molasses.

To the evening feed I add only another squeezed capsule of vit E.

They also get occasional veggie scraps, though we don't have alot right now - that's why I'm adding the beet pulp. I have organic alfalfa pellets, though I haven't used them yet because I free choice feed alfalfa/grass hay and it's pretty heavy on the alfalfa.

I use Molly's wormer once each week - only formula 2 since they are pregnant. So far fecals look good. Fresh garlic and/or 3 drops GSE as needed. I use essential oils as well, both topically and orally as needed. Dust with DE. I think that's it.

Oh, I used the Se/E gel on them in divided doses over the last 5 weeks of kidding. And put out free choice loose mineral. It's interesting to me to read of others routines. It helps me tweak mine. I know mines not set in stone - a work in progress.

emilypaonia

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
wow, this is very helpful. thanks ladies! i love to read what others do, it too helps me think about what I can add to the girls rations!

emilypaonia

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
our 7 wonders, few questions -

i have seen people mention the yeast before, why yeast for the goaties? brewers yeast? nutritional yeast? or I see you have a special "diamond v" - is that better than the others?

also, why cinnamom?

and crown of thorns...

what do you consider "symptoms of copper/selenium deficiency" and where do you get kop-sel? Is there a way to test for these deficiencies before dosing? I am wondering if my gaots have this deficiency, but my area's soil (plants/hay that they eat) is very rich in copper so i don't want to go dosing them up if they don't need it.

thanks for your help!

Our7Wonders

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
cinnamon has several healing/nourishing properties - I don't use very much - just a good liberal shake in the feed. They seem to really like the flavor it adds. It's a good circulatory herb - keeps the blood moving well and it's a good blood sugar stabilizer.

I've heard of others using different forms of yeast - I haven't researched too many of them but I've seen Diamond V specifically recommended by a couple of goat sources that I've been learning from (Hoegger's and Fiascofarm.com). Yeast is a good source of B vitamins, especially B12. Since B complex is one of the first things I see recommended when a goat is off I figured it's good to have a regular source. Commercial feed mixes are fortified with vitamins. Since we're not getting that vitamin fortification I wanted to add some extra in there. Diamond V makes one specifically for ruminants that Fiascofarm recommended but I spoke directly with the Diamond V rep for our area and he said unless I'm feeding over half their feed in grain the XP was sufficient - and it's less expensive - and you use less - so that's the one I use. A plus for me is that Hoegger's carries it by the pound so I don't have to order the 50 pound bag.

So, all that to say, both are supplements that I add because my feed is more "bare bones" than a commercial feed.