1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Guess the build... - Discussion thread.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Grumble grumble!

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by Genipher, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Aug 14, 2018
    Genipher

Genipher Loving the herd life

This last Saturday (8/11) we added an 11-week-old puppy to our "pack". We already have a 3-year-old medium-sized mutt (female). We thought the older dog would enjoy having one of her own kind to play with but besides one rousing playtime in the mornings, she either ignores him or snaps at him.

To be fair, the pup will NOT keep his nose out of her, um, "private parts". If I had someone with their nose constantly in my crotch, I'd snap, too!
    They're both spayed/neutered (pup was "broken" the day before we picked him up from the humane society) so I'm not sure why he keeps "getting into her business".

The humane society treated the pup for fleas 2 weeks before we got him. In fact, I happened to be there when they did it. Yet, every time (before adoption) that we saw him, he was scratching. Brought him home and he's constantly scratching at himself. I finally got out the flea comb today and, lo and behold, he has fleas! Grrrr! :somad
    I've made it a point to keep our older dog flea-free from the moment we got her as a puppy so I'm a tad irritated at this revelation. I immediately gave the pup half of a NexGard flea pill (based off dog size/weight so I had to cut the dose down) so hopefully the fleas will die soon and he won't be so itchy, poor guy. :(

I can't help but wonder why the humane society uses a flea product that flat-out doesn't work? I know the flea pills cost more than the squirt-on stuff but they're actually effective!

And then there's the doggie smell which, with one dog was slightly noticeable, but now? Ug. Last night I sprinkled the carpet with baking soda. It seems to have helped a bit with the smell but I figure it won't last long. I think when we tear out the carpets it will help a lot with the smell but while that chore is on our "to do" list, it will probably be awhile (ahem, a few years) before it gets done. Until then, I'd rather not have company (or myself!) walking into a wall of stinky dog when they come into the house. Should I get an air purifier? Any other ideas on how to downsize on the dog smell? Our older dog is indoor/outdoor (she prefers the outdoors in the summer) but the pup isn't old enough to be left outside at night and when winter comes, the dogs stay inside...

Any advice on any of these issues would be 100% appreciated!

Oh, and here's a picture of our new little guy. He reminds me of your dog, @TAH

IMG_20180811_143537629_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

And the two dogs, together:

IMG_20180811_143748257_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

2. Aug 14, 2018
    greybeard

greybeard Herd Master Golden Herd Member

Funding is limited in almost all of those places. It is moot whether a product is more effective or not....if ya can't afford it ya can't afford it.

Your older dog looks a lot like a dog I used to have here.
    Not very good pictures of him I'm afraid.
    indycrop.jpg

indywalker2.jpg

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
    Genipher likes this.
  3. Aug 14, 2018
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master Golden Herd Member

Cute pup! Dog smell.... carpet loves dog smell! What’s under the carpet? Can you pull it up and just paint the floor until you put down new floors?

Genipher likes this.
  4. Aug 14, 2018
    Genipher

They do look similar. Ours is a Rottweiler/Mini Pincher mix. We suspect she might have some hound in her, too. She's SUPER submissive. So much so that it's hard to get her to play. The new puppy keeps trying to entice her to play, but she doesn't wanna. When he's not trying to play with her, he's trying to hump her. sigh. I get the whole "dominance" thing but he just won't stop!!

5. Aug 14, 2018
    Genipher

You can do that?? I didn't know we could paint the flooring underneath. Hmmm....I'll have to talk to the husband about this. I want to take out the bedroom carpets, too (last owners must've owned a cat — one of the bedrooms absolutely reeks of cat pee!). If we can get out the carpets and keep the flooring underneath "healthy" until we can put down something better, that would be awesome! (New clueless home owner here, can you tell? ;))

6. Aug 14, 2018
    Latestarter

Latestarter Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry Golden Herd Member

Depends on what the subfloor is... boards, plywood, OSB... If you pull up a corner of the carpet to determine this, it will help decide on the painting issue. Maybe you'll get lucky and find hardwood flooring under the carpet. Wouldn't THAT be nice? :weee

Genipher likes this.
  7. Aug 14, 2018
    Genipher

Oh, hardwood floors would be lovely! Our house is 100 years old...it should have its original floors. I'll have to sneak a peek under the carpets after the baby goes down for a nap!

Latestarter likes this.
  8. Aug 14, 2018
    luvmypets

luvmypets Herd Master

We had a horrible outbreak of fleas last fall. I mean the dogs were miserable and we had to wash pretty much everything in the house. They got flea baths for a while too. we tried that oil stuff they put between the shoulder.. didn’t work. Then we got a different type from the vet..didn’t work. Then finally we got two of the pups a chew that would cover them for a few months. And it worked! The other dog got a flea collar which also works wonderfully.

Genipher likes this.
  9. Aug 14, 2018
    Southern by choice

Southern by choice Herd Master Golden Herd Member

I like comfortis - trifexis is also good but does more than just fleas.
    We don't have flea issues here. Ticks are however unbearable. But we did have fleas get on some of the housedogs from the cat. Go figure. Always August. We gave the comfortis few 2 months and that was it.

Topicals IMO are worthless these days. of course some regions they do fine. Just not here.

mystang89, Genipher and luvmypets like this.
  10. Aug 15, 2018
    Genipher

I had been giving our dog Bravecto (lasts 3 months) but I had to get it from the vet and it was speeeeendy! $65 for one pill. :th

I switched over to NexGard because I could get 6 pills (I give the dog one pill/month) for $60. She's been on it for 3 months and it seems to work just as well as Bravecto.

I like the pills. They work much better than the squirty ooze and I don't have to worry about it washing off or getting on the kids.:sick