Grumble grumble!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Not sure if hard or soft wood but pull out those tack strips (for holding the carpet down) and putty the holes. Then sand a small section to see what you're working with. You might be able to just sand them and refinish them with new stain. That would be one huge lucky break for you!

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
The painters and/or sheet rock mud guys sure weren't worried about spatters and drips were they?

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The painters and/or sheet rock mud guys sure weren't worried about spatters and drips were they?

No, they weren't. :somad
I also found a board that has a big chunk missing from it. It'll take some work to get all the floors "nice" again but it'll be worth it in the long run.

I can't figure out why previous owners covered such nice floors with carpet. Also, it looks like the folks that sold us the place put new laminate floors over the original hardwoods. Why would they DO that?!?:barnie

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Not sure if hard or soft wood but pull out those tack strips (for holding the carpet down) and putty the holes. Then sand a small section to see what you're working with. You might be able to just sand them and refinish them with new stain. That would be one huge lucky break for you!

I spent a couple hours pulling tacks and staples from the floor today. Got about 1/2 done. Whew, I'm slow!:oops:

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
I can't figure out why previous owners covered such nice floors with carpet. Also, it looks like the folks that sold us the place put new laminate floors over the original hardwoods. Why would they DO that?!?:barnie
It's called 'taste' Genipher........or to be accurate, the previous owners complete lack of it. Show off those lovely hardwood boards, even if you have to patch them.'Slow and sure wins the race'.

Latestarter, you amaze me with your breadth of knowledge....not only animals, but buildings, too.

I live in an old house....late 18th or early 19th century (records lost), made from local stone. Most places were carpeted (even the side of the bath!). Stripping up those carpets revealed a LOT of old woodworm. We removed the worst affected bits and patched up with new boards, sanded etc. The effect is fine (to me, anyway).....patches, stains from old nails and tacks, little holes from centuries-dead woodworm....but lovely old boards rather than tacky cheap carpet hiding all the house's scars.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Some folks pay a lot of cold hard cash for such "character" wood Sheepshape :thumbsup The older the boards and more distressed, the better!

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
The older the boards and more distressed, the better!
'Terminally distressed' is probably an accurate description for some of them, but safe to jump up and down on (I've tested them all).....but clearly very old and in character with the place.

I bought a triangular corner cupboard as a medicines cupboard for the (woodwormy) bathroom.....described as 'more woodworm than cupboard' by the seller on eBay. The description did it no favours, so mine was the only bid......I love this cupboard. A few little patches and a precautionary further woodworm treatment and it was a wonderful buy for £20. I couldn't have bought a chipboard box an eighth of the size for that money!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Genipher what lovely floors! Aren't you glad to get that carpet up and gone! You might be able to get by with a good scrubbing and some paste wax for now. Paste wax; apply with pad, you on hands and knees, buff off with towel. Unless you have attachments for vacuum, then it isn't so hard.

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@Genipher what lovely floors! Aren't you glad to get that carpet up and gone! You might be able to get by with a good scrubbing and some paste wax for now. Paste wax; apply with pad, you on hands and knees, buff off with towel. Unless you have attachments for vacuum, then it isn't so hard.

Yes! And I'm grateful for the push to tear'em out, too!

Still have a lot of work before all the carpets are up. I'm still working on the one bedroom, pulling out staples and the tacking strips.

I've noticed a strange smell in the room now. Can't quite describe it. Just doesn't smell "right". I'm hoping once I get everything swept, dusted, etc. it'll smell better. Paste wax sounds like a good temporary solution. I'll look into that. :thumbsup

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
It may be that the stank seeped into the wood. I have seen some real pretty pictures of design painted floors. If you’re going to refinish them anyway, why not paint them. Or just clean them real good and coat with polyurethane. That would seal the floors for now.