Guernsey with two blind quarters...?

Scott.woodstead

Just born
Reaction score
We are new to dairy cows and just picked up a 1st freshener Guernsey (5 days since calving I beleive) from a dairy that was "low on 2 quarters" and an unrelated bull calf with hopes of a calf share. Luckily they immediately took to each other and nursing was not a problem.

What I don't know is what to expect in terms of production. The dairy milked her this morning before we took possession and we milked her this evening before letting the calf attempt. She was so full milk began flowing while I was cleaning her udders with warm soapy water. However after about 3/4 of a gallon I was no longer getting a good stream. I stopped milking to make sure we didn't milk her out as I was told it was a really bad idea and wanted the calf to get his chance. But her bag still felt like it had a lot to give.

We have been milking dairy goats for years but this is a whole new world. Any guesses as to how much production I should be getting 5 days after calving? If the front quarters are blind (never heard that term before this evening) how much should I be looking for?

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
There is no way to really tell how much she is "supposed to give" if she is a first calf heifer, and 2 blind quarters. I assume that is why you got her off a dairy. Did they give you any idea of her dam's production?

Most of my jerseys and guernseys will give 2-3 gallons a milking with 4 quarters. No calf nursing. When I was letting them raise a calf, I would lock the calf away in the morning, milk in the evening and get 1-2 gal. I was not pushing them with much grain. When I use them strictly as nurse cows, they will usually have 3 and sometimes 4 calves on them full time.
So, I would say that 1 gal from 2 quarters at 5 days fresh is not bad.
You say that she felt like she still had alot to give. Did she have a lot of edema (swelling) ? That will make them feel fuller and harder.
You said that it was a "really bad idea" to milk her out???? except for allowing the calf to nurse, you should always milk them completely out. It helps to stimulate them to make more milk. The more complete milking the more the udder will be stimulated to produce up to her genetic potential.
Any explanation as to why both her front quarters are blind? Is the udder full and even, or are the front quarters small and undeveloped?
A cow has one udder, and 4 quarters and 4 teats. Not sure how you classify it in goats but I thought it was an udder with them and 2 teats.....a friend used to call it sides as opposed to quarters but I am not sure if that is right.