Guess I should introduce myself...

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
Shame on me, been on here for about a week (had to have a look before I joined), and never even said a "hi, I'm new here!"

:frow

Anyway; Hi, I'm Karin, I'm from the REAL center of Alberta, even though the people around Red Deer like to call themselves central Albertans. :rolleyes: I come from a farm that does both cattle and crops, and cattle, as you can see, is my specialty. We don't do beef cows though, we only do backgrounding, getting calves as far away as Grande Prairie, AB or as near as Westlock, AB, feeding them over winter on hay and silage, them sending them out on pasture over spring and summer until they are big enough to be sent to the local feedlot.

I should say we did have calves...now we got a renter feeding his dairy heifers where the beef feeder steer calves would normally be living and eating. And that's because of the sudden unexpected passing of my dad. Oh don't worry nor feel sorry for me, we're (me and the rest of my family) getting by, and of course I still want to keep farming, starting a beef herd (of COWS this time) sometime when I can, when the opportunity presents itself. I've learned enough to get the chance to give my two cents to newbies needing some questions answered. And of course, if I don't know the answer to their questions, I just sit back and listen to what those that know more'n me have to say.

I still get to be around cattle working at the local vet clinic, since the vet there owns his own herd of cows, and learning tonnes as well. Learn a lot too reading books and discussing things on places like bycows.

Anyway, that's a little about me. So I'll hush now. :duc :D

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
welcome wildrose beef.glad to have you here with us.sorry to hear about your dad.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your Dad. :hugs

I know what you mean by being at the true center and others claiming to be from the center. Pittsville is the exact center of WI but, others around claim to be central WI, even as far as an hour to hour and half away!

WildRoseBeef

Reaction score
Aww thanks kitty and wyne. :hugs

Typically we're called "north central" but according to some geological mapping, the center of Alberta is really just east of Fort Assinoboine (~150 miles north of the capital city of AB), and the farm's not too far from there, just on the other side of the mighty Athabasca River.

beefy

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
hey Alberta! good to see ya.

(alberta is just a nickname i call her, not a username elsewhere)

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
beefy said:
hey Alberta! good to see ya.

(alberta is just a nickname i call her, not a username elsewhere)
I think you're just out to confuse me. :gig

WildRoseBeef

Reaction score
:gig Hey beefy nice to see you too!

And I know who you are as well, wyne (aka B.B)! :lol: