Guinea Pig Help

W.M.

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
So, it's been quite a while since I've had a guinea pig. I just brought one home for the family. I found her on craigslist. Owner was moving, and couldn't/didn't want to take her (not important info, or my business). I don't know much about her as the owner didn't know. I was told she's under two, and named Ginger. I will be getting her a new/er cage soon. I found out when I changed out the paper that there is a piece of wood screwed to the bottom plastic piece to cover a big hole in the middle (???). Not my first choice, but put in pine shavings for that was all I had on hand at the moment. She was being fed Hartz guinea pig food, which quite honestly looked old. The date was fine, but the food was unappealing. It looked like wood pellets. I never liked the quality of hartz food anyway. Needless to say, after I picked her up I stopped at a local pet store and picked up some more, different food. It is Oxbow Garden Select, and I gave her some Timothy hay. I noticed she appears 'dirty'. Could be from the newspaper (?). Also looks like there's dried poo in her fur, but didn't appear to be any blockage. Can you bathe guinea pigs? If so, what is the safest stuff to use, or do they make a special shampoo just for them? She looks like an Abyssinian, but I don't know for certain. Also, what are the best veggies to feed them? I'll try to attach a picture. I brought her home yesterday, and I'm a little concerned that I'm not seeing any poop in her cage. Thoughts?? Final thought, should I be able to feel her hip bones easily?
IMG_1952.JPGIMG_1951.JPG

Athena2344

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
You should not be able to feel any animals hip bones easily. Go with darker green veggies, but I'd limit her on that, she was probably never offered any, and you don't want her to get the runs in her condition. I'd say yes you can bathe her, and I'd use dawn, it is my go to on all of my animals, including dogs, cats, rabbits, and my chickens when I find peck marks on them. What is the condition of her teeth? Are her gums pink as well?

W.M.

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
You should not be able to feel any animals hip bones easily. Go with darker green veggies, but I'd limit her on that, she was probably never offered any, and you don't want her to get the runs in her condition. I'd say yes you can bathe her, and I'd use dawn, it is my go to on all of my animals, including dogs, cats, rabbits, and my chickens when I find peck marks on them. What is the condition of her teeth? Are her gums pink as well?
I haven't checked her gums or teeth yet. I didn't think it was normal to feel the hip bones so easily, but again, it's been quite a long time since I had one. She had a carrot (untouched), and pieces of other veggies in her cage when I picked her up, but they look like they were at least a day old. I don't think she ever had hay in her previous home, but again just speculating.

Athena2344

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
She might not have had any experiences with hay before... Did you check her gums and teeth yet?

W.M.

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Her teeth look aligned fine. What am I looking for?

W.M.

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
She might not have had any experiences with hay before... Did you check her gums and teeth yet?
She acts like she's not sure what she's supposed to do with the hay. I noticed she hasn't been touching her pellets lately. Last night she did eat two little leaves from celery (didn't give her the stalk). When I open the door she approaches as though she's expecting food, but I haven't figured out what it is she's wanting.

Athena2344

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
What brand of feed do you have? You might want to try a berry of sorts or a yogurt drop to get her appetite going... In her mouth, just check to make sure her teeth are aligned and not overlapped, and make sure her gums are a nice pink, not white or pale, if they are pale, it's an indication of internal/external parasites. Or even put a couple drops of karo syrup on her pellets and hay... I'm not sure about what else to do, the only rodent I ever owned was rabbits, and I only had them for a few months before I decided to sell them...

W.M.

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
She was being fed Hartz brand when I got her, but I don't like that brand for food so I got her Oxbow. Luckily, I got her in to see the vet today. Hoping its not a serious problem. Thanks for all the advice.

W.M.

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I was hopeful, but her condition was pretty bad. She was ready to go.

Latest posts