Gypsy's Rambles, Wanders, Wonders and Blunders

GypsyG

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My dad sent me some pictures he took of me playing with the critters the other day...

1998CAM_2019_02_14_18_26_25_FN.jpg
1998CAM_2019_02_14_18_28_24_FN.jpg
1998CAM_2019_02_14_18_24_47_FN.jpg
1998CAM_2019_02_14_18_07_11_FN.jpg

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
My layers are starting to molt... They are still laying for now, but I'm probably going to end up with a gap of no eggs... They laid all winter with no supplement light though, so I can't complain too much!
Odd time of year to moult! Maybe it is different in various parts of the country/world? Mine moult starting late summer and in the fall.

GypsyG

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I hate February... It throws my whole system off. I breed on the 15th and the 30th just to make everything easy to keep track of... But nooo, February just has to be different.

I guess I should switch to the 1st and 15th. Every month has a 1st.

Last edited:

GypsyG

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Nooooooooooooooooooo! A d@*** racoon!!!!!!!!!!!! I HATE raccoons!!!!!!!!! My FAVORITE Hen?!?!? Why HER? Why ANY?!? This is TOWN, are there not enough trashcans and petfood bowls to raid?!?

RIP Cashew and Crispy. You were good hens.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
We lived in town at our old house, just a few blocks from downtown, City Hall, the Courthouse, Police station.....and we had raccoons, possums, hawks..... I laid wire on the ground all around the coop and run, attached it to the coop/run and that kept them from digging in. How did the raccoon break in? Sorry about they hens. :hit

GypsyG

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We lived in town at our old house, just a few blocks from downtown, City Hall, the Courthouse, Police station.....and we had raccoons, possums, hawks..... I laid wire on the ground all around the coop and run, attached it to the coop/run and that kept them from digging in. How did the raccoon break in? Sorry about they hens. :hit
It's my fault. My "coop" is a repurposed dog kennel that has a tin roof and I wrap it in tarps in the winter.

It looks like he weasled in behind the tarp at the roost end and reached in and grabbed a hen, she struggled and got away, everyone got scared and left the roost and huddled in the front corner of the coop where the raccoon snatched one and pulled it partially through the fence and ate about a third of it.

GypsyG

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I heard a noise and went out to check... The bastard managed to steal the piece of chicken carcass I used in the trap. I reset it with some tuna... But my luck he's going to be full and not come back for the tuna and I'll have to stay up all night tomorrow night too.
:he