Hair loss and mucus in milk

totesmcgoats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
hello! One of my does seems to be loosing her hair in patches. And just yesterday when I milked her one side didn't give much milk. When I went to strain it I noticed a lot of mucus. It didn't smell and it wasn't bloody. I didn't notice any lumps in her udder - just that there was less milk from that particular teat. Any ideas on what this is, if anything? She's a Nigerian dwarf and she freshened in late December. Thanks!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hair loss in patches is usually a deficiency.
However, at this time of year mites/lice should be considered. Clumps and baldness is copper related. Selenium deficiency can increase issues with mastitis.

Mastitis is a general term for inflammation of the mammary.
It does not always present itself with blood, string, or clumps.

I would recommend you do a California Mastitis Test.
Use an actual CMT not the little cards- they are worthless.

Parasite overload can also be an issue. She freshened in December, I would a run a fecal and find out what her EPG Counts are.

What is her mineral program and feed program?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am reading a book by Pat Coleby called Natural Sheep Care. I also bought her book Natural Goat Care but haven't read it yet. I would recommend that you buy her book and read it at once. If the goat book is anything like the sheep book, it will pack your brain with information and you will feel like a genius. I bought the goat book........am I catching the disease???

totesmcgoats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We just started supplementing with free-choice minerals from Tractor Supply. They had a goat block, but it wasn't really being used. I decided that this would be the better option. It's been about 3 days now. She receives hay free choice, and a grain ration when milked (probably about a cup). She also receives about 2 cups in the morning, but we have three goats and its a free-for-all so I don't know what her actual consumption looks like without segregating her. Her previous owner mentioned she was due for a copper shot, which I've never heard of but I'm a novice here. Has anyone ever heard of that? Baymule, I'll absolutely look in to the book - thanks for the tip!

Is there a place you recommend getting the mastitis test? Thanks all!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Baymule

There are some things to consider while reading the book you recommend...

the first review is best way to sum it up... the author is in Austrailia. Completely different management needs here. It is similar to NC and California... completely different regions, soils, and individual needs. Parasites are no an issue in many parts in the US where it is hot/dry but rainy wet humid areas are. Mineral maps are useful here but there again where is hay coming from...

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/40112.Natural_Goat_Care

totesmcgoats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Jeffers supply carries both- the copper is in capsule form they have 2grm and 4 grm

You need to get a fecal done.

Are you recommending I get a fecal done before giving copper, or that I need to get a fecal done no matter what (which I will!)? Thanks for the clarification!