Hair loss on neck *picture added on post #8*

PotterWatch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We have four Angus cross steers and two have some bare-looking patches on their necks. They are healthy and active otherwise, but I'm not sure what might be causing the hair loss.

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
How about some pictures? Could be anything: mange, ringworm...? We need pictures though. :)

goodhors

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Could be lice. Have the cattle been wormed recently? Worming with one of the Ivermectin
products, pour-on types, will get rid of the lice for you.

Lice are itchy, so the cattle rub and rub, which creates the bare spots. Could be licking themselves
a lot, to make bald spots that way with lice problems.

Snowhunter

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Probably lice.. its the right time of year for it

Possibly shedding.. some cattle don't shed very gracefully :lol:

PotterWatch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I'll get some pictures tomorrow. I don't think they could be licking the spots as they are pretty far up on their necks. It could be from scratching on the fence though.

animalfarm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
creepy critters. Ivermectin pour on. Mine get bald patches on their necks every spring and need to be treated. If its very severe, might need a 2nd treatment in 5 weeks to be sure. Hair grows back pretty quick.

Stubbornhillfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Could certainly be any of the above. Ours had a couple of sparse spots last year. After we wormed them with the Ivermectin, it cleared up. However, our largest steer has a long sparse patch on the ridge of his neck up by his head. He feels that instead of putting his head over one bar at the feeder to get to the hay, that he has to put his head under it and then stretch up. So the whole time he is eating, he is rubbing the fur off on the bar.

Pictures will be a great help!

PotterWatch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
It has been raining today and you can't really see the hair loss when they are wet. They seem to love the rain! Here is a picture my 10yo took the other day and you can see a few patches.

362_dscn3359.jpg

redtailgal

Reaction score
Yeah, I'd try some ivermec, it looks like lice to me.

Of course, if you have had a lot of rain, and they like to stand in the rain you could have some skin fungus, too.

PotterWatch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Lice was my first thought. Good to know I'm not out in left field with my guess! We haven't had much rain at all. Today is our first rainy day in about a month.