Hair Loss

wannabeefarmgirl33

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I have a Berkshire gilt that I have recently noticed with hair loss on her back and rear. I have tried to check for lice and havent found any signs of them and there are no other visable signs of problems on her body. She is in the same pen with her sister who isnt having this problem. I have noticed on the trees where they have been rubbing themselves but when I go to scratch them they dont act like they are very itchy. Any ideas of what it could be? I have a show in 2 and a half weeks so I am really hoping this is nothing serious.

Thanks

Attachments

• Maple 1.jpg
    Maple 1.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 182
  • Maple 2.jpg
    Maple 2.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 174

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
A CC of Ivomec per hundred pounds would do it. The mange mites live IN the skin, not on it. They are virtually invisible, unless you scrape the skin and view it under a microscope. The Ivomec will kill the mites for several days. You should also change the bedding just to be sure. Even if this isn't the problem, the Ivomec won't hurt, and it will also deworm him.

Also, I'd not be scratching him. Mange also infests humans, and can easily be transmitted. One of our neighbors was moved into a nursing home a long way away from here. She immediately contracted mange, and I recognized it when I went to visit her. The entire group of residents was scratching constantly, and some of the staff also had it. I informed her children, and they moved her to a different home, and had her treated. I also had an elderly aunt who had it. Not sure where they got it, but they did have it.

Last edited:

mikiz

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I did not know that about mange mites jhm47! We have a few dogs around here that get them, and never even considered they could be passed on to humans :hu