Hair loss

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have a 2 year old Nigie doe who has begun to lose hair on her ears and around her eyes. I haven't checked in her ears (I'll do that tomorrow). I assume this is most likely ear mites? I've also read possibly a selenium deficiency can cause this and my part of the country does tend to be deficient I believe.

So I've read on here that I can dilute permethrin to put on her ears. What do I do for her eyes? I don't want to put chemicals that close to her eyes! Do I also need to treat bedding or the rest of her body or is this a localized thing?

And, is there a test for selenium deficiency? Is there a way to treat "over the counter" if she is deficient?

ETA: I am milking her, if that is relevant.

Last edited:

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah I haven't found a vet who knows a blessed thing about goats. So won't be of much use! I have a lead on one though...

I tried to get a picture but my phone was taking blurry ones and Lilly wasnt feeling the photo op. Will try in the morning when I milk.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
So, when she is pregnant around kidding time she loses the fur down her spine. It grows back over time. Is this related? Her dam does the same thing.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Generally the Psorioptes Mite is ears and sometimes around eyes and face but you would usually see crust if it was that bad... Is the goat chewing anywhere else?

I meant to put a question Mark at the end of zinc deficiency... LOL

Ok this is not funny but I am completely drawing a blank.
It will come to me... it is something simple too...

How is your copper?

Look at this map and find your county... check levels of minerals from ground... of course this only helps if they eat off the land or your hay comes from there.

http://mrdata.usgs.gov/geochem/doc/averages/countydata.htm

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
No she hasnt been chewing anywhere. Not crusty, just hair missing. I have not seen her shaking her head. The only time she was itchy was a night when the bugs were biting terribly. No one else has any symptoms.