hair sheep compared to goats?

AMT15

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Oh yea, being able to raise them on pasture without supplemental feed is BIG. How do they do during the winter? You have to feed them then, right? And hay? Also, how about sheep x goat hybrids, is it possible?

Thanks,

CochinBrahmaLover=)

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
AMT15 said:
Oh yea, being able to raise them on pasture without supplemental feed is BIG. How do they do during the winter? You have to feed them then, right? And hay? Also, how about sheep x goat hybrids, is it possible?

Thanks,
Dont know about the other stuff but heres the jist on geeps (goat sheeps) lol

Goats and sheep have different chromozoynes, (or however you spell it), so while a goat can get frisky, chances are EXTREMELY low. However geeps HAVE been created, 1 is in london I remember,not sure of the others. I think theres been about 4 or 5 geeps EVER created if not less (well that is if someone had a sheep and didn't know it was a geep!), due to the chromozoyne difference.

I may be wrong so sorry if I am :hide

boykin2010

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
You are pretty much right. It is possible but is very very rare.

I feed my Katahdins hay in the winter and only feed grain while they are lactating

ShadyAcres

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have never had goats. Never wanted them. Had neighbors and friends with them growing up, and have neighbors and friends with them as an adult. Goats are notorious escape artists excellent fences a must. They climb on your 4-wheeler and are constantly underfoot, always getting in to where they dont belong.

OK, maybe I am a little bit prejudice? :hide But you are in the sheep section. If you asked the same question in the goat area (maybe you already have) you would get some pretty strong opinions on goats over sheep.

I feed my sheep grain only when flushing, before lambing, and early lactation. We have 70 acres so am able to rotate. I do feed hay in the winter. Typically round bales. I also feed lambs after weaning.

I have no personal experience with St Croix. I believe they are similar to the Kats but probably a bit smaller or finer. I have also seen some nice heavy muscled Kats as well so guess would depend on their breeding.

We are 1 hr south west of Nashville.

TexasShepherdess

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Sounds like OP, youve decided sheep may be an option..:)

I am partial to dorpers..many arent. Ive found them to be very docile creatures, are in high demand (probably, in my area, the highest of all the hairsheep, in regards to price commanded,ect) and taste great! I give my ewes a small handful of grain to keep them busy while I feed my guard dogs (I dont freefeed the dogs)..suppliment with hay and grain when needed..unfortunantly, our drought has forced me to do that more here recently..the pastures are dead..but even factoring that in..they dont need much..but perhaps my vision is colored by feeding cattle and horses for years? LOL

Mine are hardy, even in our awful heat, are pretty smart and, as I said, simply dont take much to maintain. they dont get out like my goats used to, they dont JUMP on everything like goats do, they dont sound like annoying whining like goats do..no dehorning (with dorpers) like goats. They are a win win..for me at least.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Put me down for Katahdins and Kat/St. Croix cross....love them both but prefer the Kats. I'm not too impressed with the Dorpers...find them to be too short and not have the great personalities of the Kats.

RemudaOne

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I can't speak to the Kats or St. Croix as I've never owned them, but I'm very happy with my Dorpers. At this point, in my area anyway, you will get the greatest rate of return for your investment with Dorpers. Even if you're just having them as pets, I'm assuming you're not planning to keep every lamb that your ewes have so you'll have to sell at some point. My small flock (12 including ram) is all pretty friendly. There are two that won't just walk up to me when I'm in the pasture. The others all come to me to see what's up.

As for goats, I didn't consider them due to seeing our neighbor's goats escaping frequently and I have been told that they dont mother as well as hair sheep and may just walk off and leave a newborn kid, I didn't want to have to be concerned about those kinds of issues and hair sheep are a good fit there. When I first got my flock, my neighbor told me that he thought sheep were "stupid". I don't agree with that but I did tell him that I'd rather have a "stupid" sheep IN my pasture than a "smart" goat OUT on the road........

My philosophy with livestock is this...... It takes just as much money to feed a cheaper sheep, goat, horse as it does a good one that will earn you more money, so I look for the best investment. Luckily for me, the dorper fits that bill AND the bonus is that I enjoy being around and working with them as well.

Here's a sample :)
ee1080d1.jpg

Good luck with your decision, I'm sure you'll enjoy whichever you choose :)

AMT15

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Good pic! I was thinking of which is best for protecting the livestock, dog or donkey? I was thinking donkey because they could eat the same thing as the sheep ect., but I don't really know. Anyone?

boykin2010

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Take this from someone who has had experience with both... DOG!
I had a livestock guardian donkey but she was a pain. You have to pay for wormer and hoof trimmings plus worry about her stepping on lambs and kicking you. They are really aggressive around their food. They eat a ton of hay. Constantly escaping or doing something annoying.

I have a Great Pyrenees now and he is the best thing I could ever ask for. Gentle with small children and the lambs. Keeps predators away. Doesn't hurt anybody. I worm him once a month and feed him in the morning. He is so good with the lambs and is very respectful of the space for the ewe and newborn lambs. Definitely go with a dog...

AMT15

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
LOL, great to know. thanks,