Hair sheep fiber

JeSuisPhoenix

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Apologies if this is a silly question! I’m looking to get sheep in the future, and I would prefer hair sheep as I don’t want to deal with shearing. I am looking for an all-around sheep for meat and dairy, and ideally one I could get some usable fiber from. It doesn’t have to be a significant amount, just enough to add to angora to give a little strength. This would just be personal spinning and knitting projects, not consumer goods. Are there any hair sheep that would work for this?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
The short answer is no. While hair sheep do grow a winter wool, it is too short to be of any use. If you sheared to get the winter wool, it would be spoiled anyway by all the hair, which wouldn't spin.

It is not a silly question, if you don't know, you don't know. Please feel free to ask any time, any question.

Why not try Katahdin hair sheep, the ewes have a good udder and you could milk them. Then if you want just a little wool, why not buy a fleece? Our very own @secuono raises Babydoll sheep and has some nice fleeces.