1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. BYH Featured Thread: I'm woolin' it!
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. 2017 BYC Calendar SUPER SALE!
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Halter breaking

Discussion in 'Behaviors & Handling Techniques - Cattle' started by newbiekat, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Jun 14, 2017
    newbiekat

newbiekat Loving the herd life

Hi again! We loved our new little calf (Decaf) that we got another one. This one is 10 weeks old. Trained to a bottle, but the farmer threw the bottle over the fence and walked away, so she was never given a bottle by a person (after she learned to take it). We are now wanting to halter break her, so we have been using the bottle as incentive. It's been working great and she walks well on the halter, my problem is that she RUNS from you in the pen before we catch her, but once she is in the barn she knows she's caught and just stands there.

How do we train her not to run from us before we catch her?

She is a Zebu cross (we think Brahma, for obvious reasons:lol:).
    7432.jpeg

2. Jun 18, 2017 at 2:03 PM
    WildRoseBeef

WildRoseBeef Range nerd & bovine enthusiast Moderator

Bribing with treats is always a good thing to try. Cattle, no matter the age, are food-motivated.

3. Jun 22, 2017 at 11:13 PM
    newbiekat

newbiekat Loving the herd life

What kind of treats? Every time I bring out grain my goats are all over it, and she won't come near me if the goats are in her space. So should I separate her from them and work with her one on one?