Halters???

wolf

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I've had goats before, and they wore halters.
I'm in the process of acquiring sheep - and wondered...
Will goat halters fit on a sheep? The configuration is different, but does that make a difference when the head is shaped similarly??

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
Goat halters should fit great on a sheep, or at least we have used them interchangeably with no problems.

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've used a goat halter on my sheep, and it fits well. I don't leave it on when I'm not there, though.

wolf

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks! Hate to go out and buy all new gear when I have stuff lying around!

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The ONLY time to use a halter on any farm animal is when the animal is led or tied. Any other time it is an accident waiting to happen.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
A farm local to where I live wasn't really making a living from 'real farming' (livestock sales) so decided to diversify and do 'sheep treks' and a develop a small petting farm. "Paying guests' walk around the farm and a bit of the Brecon Beacons with halter-trained sheep. It is very popular with 'townies' and has turned a loss-making enterprise into a very successful one.

Not really my cup of tea, but apparently very popular.

They use wethered rams.

JesseroDo

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Ive had very bad luck getting halters to stay on my sheep. No matter what kind I tried, it would slip off their noses unless it was so tight, they couldnt move their jaws. If I need to tie them, I use a collar around the neck (if their wool is short), or around the base of their horns (if they have long wool and I cant find their neck). If im just moving them around/leading, I grab a horn or I dont use anything at all. My boys are trained to follow me (food jingling in a can helps to train them!). Never ever leave a sheep tied unsupervised! And never leave a halter or collar on them unless its the break away kind. But, even with those, Id be leery. I never leave anything on mine.