Halters

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
A halter is a useful piece of equipment to have. I have taken pics of a store bought halter, which one could use as a template to make their own. And I took pictures of one that is a rope quickly made into a halter.

First the store bought one:
5_boughthalter.jpg

The part where the nose piece connects at the end where the rope leads off to produce the tail that one uses to lead/tie up the animal.
5_boughthalterlooptolead.jpg

This is the part where the nose piece connects on the end where you adjust the size of the loop that goes up around the ears.
5_boughthalteradjustmentloop.jpg

Placed on a cow.
5_boughthalteron.jpg

A quickly made rope halter:
Make & tie a loop in one end of the rope the size of the animals nose. Then bring the other end through the nose loop until you have the bigger loop that goes over the animals ears.
5_quickhalter.jpg

Place on a cow. Note, the lead end goes on the side away from the knot that was formed when making the nose loop.
5_quickhalteron.jpg

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
You can just as easily make something like that store-bought one. I have the instructions for doing it, but haven't attempted at "ruining" a rope to try to make one.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
That's why I did the closeups, so people could see how they are put together.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It should fit a donkey. If your talking about the yellow one, just make the nose loop to fit the donkeys nose. The red one you can adjust by sliding the rope.

Of course, getting the donkey to lead is another story.

Cajunsamoan

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Don't I know! When we moved here our donkey came with the property. I guess after three years she decided to start stomping calves and so the previous owner left her. She is on 40 acres and is completely wild. I've been trying to get a farrier out because I am extremely concerned about her hooves. No one will come out unless I get a halter on her. I just am not experienced enough to get a regular halter on and buckled before she gets away from me.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Try a rope one and once you have that on her you can tie her up somewhere and get the other one on her.Tie her tight so she can't swing, etc while your getting the other halter on.

We had a jersey heifer that needed to come into the barn to get ready for calving. She fought and fought. We ended up tying her to the silo. She would pull to the end of the rope and pull for all she was worth--locked knees and all. After a bit she would just fall over sideways from pulling so hard. She would get up and go again. After a few times she tired of this and we had an easier time than before.

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
Farmer Kitty said:
We had a jersey heifer that needed to come into the barn to get ready for calving. She fought and fought. We ended up tying her to the silo. She would pull to the end of the rope and pull for all she was worth--locked knees and all. After a bit she would just fall over sideways from pulling so hard. She would get up and go again. After a few times she tired of this and we had an easier time than before.
Reminds me of a little Jersey/limo I was going to raise for a milk cow! Dad told to halter break her, so I tried!
She had no problem walking with me, but if she wanted to stop and I put any pressure on the halter, she would just flop on her side and just lay there!
I finally gave up, figured if she kept that up, she was going to hurt herself and I got tired of waiting for her to get back up!

Latest posts