Hand feeding numerous feeder pigs?

blucoondawg

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking maybe mid to later September that would put them at around 9 months of age. I may pick up a couple winter feeders and do the garden thing like you did, that is if I get the area fenced. Be some expense for fence but cheaper than buying a tiller for my tractor lol

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
You will need a disc to smooth it back out. Mine dug moon craters. Since you have summer pigs, plant something in the garden for them to eat. I am planting blue hubbard squash, pumpkins, and other winter squash for the pigs this fall.

Our soil is sugar sand and the pig poop sure seems to have helped the fertility. Plus we dumped lots and lots of pine shavings from a local horse center.

blucoondawg

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I've got a smaller 2 gang disc that pulls behind an ATV, our soil isn't sand it's a heavy soil in most areas and rocky, they've already dug out a whole lot of rocks

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Use your pigs natural behaviors to your advantage. I gather bags of leaves in the fall. I make my husband drive through neighborhoods and help me load up bag after bag of leaves. I used to embarrass him, but now that he has seen the results, he is on board with my wacko ideas. :lol: In the fall, spread leaves, hay, anything of organic nature you can get, on your garden. Turn the pigs in and let them roto-till for you and spread their manure. In the spring, disc it smooth and plant. I have laid down cardboard, cut holes and planted my tomatoes, to cut down on weeds.

Latest posts