Hand Milking Vs Machines

Hand or machine?

• Total voters

EverythingBunnies

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I'm very new to the fiat world, so this may be a stupid question.
I'm looking to get some ND goats (maybe 3 milkers), and I (somewhat) know how to hand milk but I don't know a whole lot about using a machine (is that even the right word?). I've heard that tgey are more likely to get mastitis on a machine. Is this true? If so, why?
Sorry for all the questions :hide

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Far as I know they are only more likely if the machine isnt cleaned between does and the teat isnt finished being stripped by hand after the machine is done. If you are following all the proper hygiene steps you should be fine.

Some goats are simply prone to mastitis, same for cows. Usually you would just cull those ones or not milk them but keep an eye on them. We have so far, knock on wood never had a case of mastitis but we also only ever had milked. I have known plenty of people who only hand milk and have mastitis show up so I dont think one form is really better then another.

I believe we will be buying an EZ milker when the does all kid because my hands cant take the hand milking anymore even for one doe.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
From what I understand... the mastitis risk increases with rough handling... which can happen from anything really... but a machine is more likely to be too strong, or to be kept going after the udder is empty... or what have you...

So, proper careful use of a clean machine shouldn't increase mastitis risk.

Which is better... hand or machine, GREATLY depends on you and your goats.

I hated the extra cleaning the machine required... but my hands are too arthritic now to hand milk...

Latest posts