Hand rearing tiny goat kids - help!

Juliette Ivanova

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
If mine --- I would add a little calcium and nutridrench -- little syringed into mouth, 2-3Xdy. See if it helps with her desire to take milk, it will at least add some carbs/vit/min. They are too young to think about hay, really. So will nibble in a few days but nothing to keep them alive. If taste of nutridrench liked, you can add a little to milk & she "may" nurse.

The one who won't nurse...does she have milk coming out her nose when she tries? I'm thinking is her pallet ok or not. Did they get colostrum? Kids do not have fully developed rumen systems at birth.

Without being there to SEE & HANDLE the kid, just grabbing at straws as to how some have come around if weak. Also, sounds like they might have been preemie -- poor nutrition for pregnant does can increase the incident of this, also the incidence of weak kids. Watch the doe and pen her to feed her better as lactation actually requires far more calories than pregnancy. The does can go do fast with "putting it all in the bucket".

There will be a lot of suggestions -- some work, some don't. We just pray one will.
Thanks so much for your reply. Please see my update, below :)

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Great report! Keep up the diligent and timely work, and post her progress. Lots of us are pulling for your wee one and you!

And now that she is doing better we would absolutely love a bunch of pictures, please and thank you.

Daxigait

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
no, if I hadn't sold the two little bucklings as last week I probably would have had you I don't have enough milk for them and their mom is having real issues.
I have four kids I'm bottle feeding well bucket feeding and they're drinking a half a gallon a day more than their mothers are giving and their moms are giving a gallon a day these little kids are just thirsty.

Juliette Ivanova

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
IMG_20190223_143903.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190224_171728.jpg
    IMG_20190224_171728.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_20190224_132530.jpg
    IMG_20190224_132530.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 64

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just to say what a great job you have done. It is VERY hard to rear premature babies from when they don't even have the sucking reflex etc. Nobody should underestimate the work you have done.

Juliette Ivanova

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Just to say what a great job you have done. It is VERY hard to rear premature babies from when they don't even have the sucking reflex etc. Nobody should underestimate the work you have done.
Thank you :) not counting our chickens yet, as they're only 12 days old, but they're doing well and we're loving having them skipping around the house. Tips on potty training appreciated!! Their mum is an experienced dam, so we may try reintroducing them, when the weather gets warmer - what do you think? I'm such a beginner that I just thought they were tiny because they were triplets, but having had another set of triplets born now, I am shocked at how tiny these were! God is good and I think I got a fat dose of beginner's luck, as if I knew what I was doing, I may have been more worried!
Thanks so much for your encouragement :)

Latest posts