1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Member need info, new to bee keeping - Help each other out discussion thread.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Handling a Large Rabbit

Discussion in 'Behavior and Handling Techniques - Rabbits' started by Dawnclucks22, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Jan 7, 2018
    Dawnclucks22

Dawnclucks22 Chillin' with the herd

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has experience with this. I have a rabbit who's a bit of a "weird" size. He's larger than many rabbits I've seen but he's not giant (as in drooping-over-my-arms giant). Usually I hold him with his paws/feet facing the ground with one hand on his hind legs and one right behind his front legs on his belly. I only pick him up to transfer him from his run to his hutch. I was wondering if there was a better way to hold him as he seems to be uncomfortable when I carry him.
    Holding him the paws-on-your-chest way isn't really an option, he's way too big to do that. He's probably hop over my shoulder. :p

2. Jan 7, 2018
    promiseacres

promiseacres Herd Master

Most rabbits do well with their heads tucked under one arm and supporting their rear with the same hand, or the other if that big.

mysunwolf and Dawnclucks22 like this.
  3. Jan 8, 2018
    AClark

AClark Loving the herd life

^ That's what I do with my big ones, they are easier to carry and more secure.

Dawnclucks22 likes this.
  4. Jan 8, 2018
    Dawnclucks22

Dawnclucks22 Chillin' with the herd

I will definitely try that approach, thank you!