handling/training tecniques

Ownedby3alpacas

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I got a The Camelid Companion book by Marty McGee Bennett for Christmas and have started reading through it. So far, I like it. I'm def going to be working with mine more and thought this would be a good starting point.

What are some of your ways of handling and training? Does anyone use any of Marty McGee Bennett's methods? I'm really curious to see how other people work with their alpacas/llamas....

If anyone is willing to share pictures of their catch pens I'd love to see them!

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I used some of Marty's methods. I bought corral panels that were 9' and made a square. It made it very easy for me to do shots and things to the alpacas by myself. If you really work at her methods, it will really pay off. I didn't go all the way with it and I did still have some trouble with things. It is more about you changing than the animal so it does take more work. But like I said, the payoff will be better.

Jules Harrell

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I'm with you. I have learned for example that I can't have more than one llama in the pen, and four of them want to come in at the same time. Also, when my dogs want to come in and steal llama food, I have to somehow make them get out, which freaks out the llamas (if I raise my voice).

ARRGGHH. So part of the problem is a farm full of pets who all want attention.

I also want to lure my really scared llama into the pen but need another person to shut the door behind her. I'm the only llama handler on our homestead.

Jules