hanging feed dishes?

tindi

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I currently feed my two goats grain in two rubber dishes on the floor but I find them hard to clean and often they poop and pee in them during the day. I'd like to buy two hanging dishes because they squabble at feeding time. They are both mini goats so I need something small? Any recomendations? Also considering hay bags since they waste so much hay out of the feeder they have now. Thanks for any replies or thoughts!

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I like something like this that will clip on the fence. They do make larger ones that will feed more goats at one time, but a couple of these would work well for mini-goats. This particular one is from Valley Vet - but you can probably find something similar to it at your favorite farm store. I'd stay away from hay bags as goats are notorious for hanging themselves in them. Maybe you can get a hay feeder with smaller openings - I've seen people use everything from milk crates to laundry baskets... necessity is the mother of invention they say, lol!

upload_2017-5-2_8-8-10.png

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Remember that goats LOVE to climb & jump into & onto things --- anything! --- keep it moveable, limited access, etc., so you can adjust as needed.

They are masters of escape & getting into trouble. :lol:

tindi

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the picture! I'll see if I can find that dish for them. Trying to spruce the goat barn up this year and make my job easier at the same time. Good point about the hay bags.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH from NE Texas. Glad you joined us and I see you've already got some answers. Hope you'll stick around and share some pics of your goats. we're all pic addicts here. Please also make yourself at home and browse around the various threads. There's lots of good stuff there and you might get even more ideas. :D

Oh, and please, if you do stick around with us, consider putting at least a general location of where you are in your profile. If you ask for help, where you're located might affect the answers (climate). Thanks!

tindi

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I am enjoying reading the threads so I will stick around :frow I'm not sure how to add my location but I'll do my best to figure it out. I'm in Ontario Canada

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Oh, welcome to another Canadian :D:frow you won't be alone! Just hover your mouse over youtr name top right and then click on the selection that says "Your Profile Page". When you get there, select "Personal Details" and when you get there you can edit your location. :D =D Remember to scroll down and save the changes after you make any :thumbsup

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
When I used to have only a few goats, (not 40 like I do now) I liked to use a fence feeder but put it outside of the fence and they would stick their head through a small hole in the fence to eat. It kept them from standing in the feeders.