Hannah's Thread - it is over...Update page 8 ~ DOES VID WORK? 14

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
This thread will end in heartbreak, how much we won't know until it's over, but I feel for educational purposes it should be shared.

We purchased Hannah last September. She has everything we are looking for in our herd - conformation, udder and new bloodlines. We were excited to get her home! We got her up to date on her copper and selenium, and put her in the pen with our buck, Fire Flame. She was bred once, but slipped, and was bred again the following month. We weren't sure if she had settled, but crossed our fingers.

Shortly after, I noticed her belly dropping. I thought, good! She must have settled. She has a history of large litters, so I figured we were expecting triplets (or more) and she was showing already.

Maybe a month later, I realized something didn't look right. Her dry udder appeared to be sticking out at the wrong angle, and her belly had suddenly dropped further than it should be, large litter or not. So I brought her into the barn for an exam. There was something VERY amiss. She had herniated...from what I could tell it was a complete abdominal hernia of the ventral crease.

She didn't act painful, and was eating/acting normally. Soon though she began to loose condition. So we decided it was in her best interest to give her some personal attention, feed her separately, etc. Still not sure if she had been bred, but really feeling she was open/had slipped...we began to make plans to have her euthanized.

Last night I brought Hannah to the front of the barn to spend some time with her. We had decided to go ahead with the euth the following morning (today). She was eating some treats, and I was giving her a good body rub. I ran my hands around the herniated area, trying to feel for some clue. Instead of a clue...I was shocked to be kicked by a fetus.

Best I can tell, there are at least two in there. Her uterus is obviously completely external of the abdominal cavity...but the fetuses feel correctly sized for an approximately 3/20 due date.

Our options are limited. Plan A) vaginal delivery, of course assisted, with some manual manipulation externally to get the uterus lifted so kids can be pulled/delivered. Plan B) C section. Unfortunately either plan ends in the destruction of a beautiful doe, all we can hope is that we are able to save these kids she's gone through all the trouble of incubating these past 4 months.

This morning I will be clipping her and documenting her condition. I will post photos of the hernia and keep you all updated on how things go. Hannah is now isolated for her own comfort. Our regular vet is over an hour away, but I have a recommendation for a closer vet, whom I will be calling about the C section - if she goes into labor at an odd hour, we will need to have a vet available locally.

hannah7102.jpg

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
Oh my. I'm sorry to hear that. :( What a shame. I would imagine a c-section would be much easier. Does the vet think there's any chance of doing a c-section and then being able to go in and repair the hernia? :hugs

SDGsoap&dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I am SO sorry about this, Kate. I know you're doing the best you can for her. :( The whole situation is just a bummer.

chandasue

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Oh that poor girl... At least she's not suffering. I sure hope you can save the babies. :fl

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
aggieterpkatie said:
Does the vet think there's any chance of doing a c-section and then being able to go in and repair the hernia? :hugs
Having been through a C section with a doe in better condition (but still compromised) who did not survive the surgery, I can pretty well bet that Hannah will not pull through a full sedation either. Given what we had to witness with that first C section...I don't feel it would be fair to attempt to correct this gross herniation for Hannah. In either event, the right thing to do for Hannah will likely be to let her go. Of course, you never know for sure until you're inside...but that's my gut feeling.

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
Ohh.. I am so sorry to read about your doe. :hugs Hoping she has a doeling virtually identical to herself, just incase she doesn't pull through the C-section.
I had the same thought about fixing the hernia after/during the c-section delivery. I will pray that it all goes smoothly and that you will have her back and kicking after the kids arrive!

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
My sympathies. :hugs It is a tough descion to make. While I still hope there is chance to save her, I will say I think you are a brave and selfless person to be able to let her go if it is what is best for her.

Latest posts