Happy Holidays to those near and far.

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Happy Holidays to everyone in BackYardHerds. May everyone have a safe and delightful season.

I have an interesting question for everyone. Since this is a huge time for traveling how much do you pay at the pump for a gallon of regular or unleaded gasoline in your neck of the woods?

We are at what I believe to be this years lowest prices. $2.23/gallon of unleaded.

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Down to 1.93 here in Va. Diesel is down to 2.69 for on road and 2.39 for the tractors and such.
It’s kinda odd how gas is much lower this year than it was this spring or summer. Isn’t gas usually jacked up in price by $.30-0.50 for those traveling at Christmas time.
@farmerjan , what do most tractors and such run on? I thought it was diesel. It’s regular?

Rammy

Herd Master
Reaction score
I paid $1.70 for my gas today. I used my fuel points to knock off 40 cents. Its normally $2.18 a gallon. Some places are higher.

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I paid $1.70 for my gas today. I used my fuel points to knock off 40 cents. Its normally $2.18 a gallon. Some places are higher.
I never thought anybody would ever pay less than $2.00 ever again. Even if you used fuel points, that’s a darn good price.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Here in Va., and I thought pretty much nationwide, diesel for road use is "clear" , you pay all taxes etc. Off-road diesel is dyed with red color and it is the same basic diesel, but you are not paying the road taxes etc.,, So if you put off road in your "on-road" truck and you get caught, it is a huge fine and all sorts of "sh#t". Just like Kerosene. Used to be it was just kerosene, "clear", and you used it for heaters and lamps and whatever. We also put some in the diesel trucks to keep the diesel from "gelling" in the winter. But you didn't pay taxes on it. So now, most all places have "dyed" kerosene, so that we can't "get away with putting it in our trucks".... BUT it will screw up the wicks on your kerosene heaters and your lamps and such. There are a few places that sell it "not dyed" but it is more because you are also paying the "road tax" on it now.

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Here in Va., and I thought pretty much nationwide, diesel for road use is "clear" , you pay all taxes etc. Off-road diesel is dyed with red color and it is the same basic diesel, but you are not paying the road taxes etc.,, So if you put off road in your "on-road" truck and you get caught, it is a huge fine and all sorts of "sh#t". Just like Kerosene. Used to be it was just kerosene, "clear", and you used it for heaters and lamps and whatever. We also put some in the diesel trucks to keep the diesel from "gelling" in the winter. But you didn't pay taxes on it. So now, most all places have "dyed" kerosene, so that we can't "get away with putting it in our trucks".... BUT it will screw up the wicks on your kerosene heaters and your lamps and such. There are a few places that sell it "not dyed" but it is more because you are also paying the "road tax" on it now.
I had n idea about colored gasoline/diesel. I don’t even know how to drive a tractor, let alone fuel it up.

Last edited:

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
In our neighboring town unleaded gas is $1.96. I really never though we would ever get below $2.00. I remember when gas costs hit the $1.00/gallon. I think when I first started driving it was $0.80+.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'll really date myself..... I remember the gas wars when it got down to $.30 gallon. And then I remember the gas shortages.... when you could get gas on even or odd days, according to your liscense plate; or you could only get $5.00...... lines were miles long.... people paid other people to sit in line with their vehicle to get it filled up.....
Anyone remember getting S&H green stamps.... or Triple S blue stamps???? Or Flying A gas????? eventually Getty bought it out if I remember.... My grandparents had a gas station through all that......
The GOOD OLE DAYS

Rammy

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'll really date myself..... I remember the gas wars when it got down to $.30 gallon. And then I remember the gas shortages.... when you could get gas on even or odd days, according to your liscense plate; or you could only get $5.00...... lines were miles long.... people paid other people to sit in line with their vehicle to get it filled up.....
Anyone remember getting S&H green stamps.... or Triple S blue stamps???? Or Flying A gas????? eventually Getty bought it out if I remember.... My grandparents had a gas station through all that......
The GOOD OLE DAYS
I remember the gas wars, too. And the odd, even days.
Yes, I remember the green stamps. Mom would collect them in books, take them to this store when she got enough to "buy" something.

Last edited: