Happy Holidays to those near and far.

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I'll really date myself..... I remember the gas wars when it got down to $.30 gallon. And then I remember the gas shortages.... when you could get gas on even or odd days, according to your liscense plate; or you could only get $5.00...... lines were miles long.... people paid other people to sit in line with their vehicle to get it filled up.....
Anyone remember getting S&H green stamps.... or Triple S blue stamps???? Or Flying A gas????? eventually Getty bought it out if I remember.... My grandparents had a gas station through all that......
The GOOD OLE DAYS
I don’t quite remember about the gas shortage, even/odd days, or being limited to $5.00. But, I’m pretty sure my parents remember those days. My dad was a truck driver. He always came home with S&H green stamps and I think Flying A. It was my job to lickem and stickem in the right books. I also had the job of washing his stinky dirty laundry. I never complained either because I got to keep any and all money that he left in his pocket. One time I found a $100. But, I gave it to him because I didn’t feel right about keeping that.

It wasn’t Flying A. It was gold stamps. Gold and green stamps.

Last edited:

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Carla D ; Thank you for that compliment. That gave me a little "kick in the pants" to make me be more positive about all the negative things we have been enduring, and to appreciate things that I have probably not been doing lately. And to realize that yeah, it could be worse....

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@Carla D ; Thank you for that compliment. That gave me a little "kick in the pants" to make me be more positive about all the negative things we have been enduring, and to appreciate things that I have probably not been doing lately. And to realize that yeah, it could be worse....
There is a huge advantage to having experienced those sort of things. I hope we never go through anything like that again. But while in only in my mid the late forties we were very very poor when I was young and into my early teens. My parents struggled really hard. There were a few times that my mom felt very fortunate to have found a few coins in our toy box so she could buy us milk. I don’t think I had any store bought clothes until I was in 7th grade. My mom sacrificed her own wardrobe to keep me and my brothers in clothes. I have faced hard times in my adult life. But I know that was nothing compared to the several years they struggled.