Happy to be here from North Carolina!

Gabby

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hello all! I've been stalking the BYC/BYH forums for quite some time now! I'm looking to start my own homestead in North Carolina, and BYH has proven to have a ton of great advice, so I'd like to finally post here and be a real member! :) I currently have one rabbit, five dogs, and three chickens, and hoping to add a couple of goats soon.
So to get talking; What's your ideal dream farm/homestead? Mine would be a small-modest sized home on 40+ acres of land, mostly wooded except for the pastures. I'd like to eventually own goats, sheep, cows, donkeys, and ducks on top of what I raise at the moment. I haven't had the best luck growing crops, but on my dream farm, I have a decent sized garden ;) What's your dream homestead like, and/or do you already live on it?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH (& BYC?) :frow Glad you finally decided to join us :D That's a cute "pup" in your avatar. Please feel free to post pictures here as we're all a bunch of picture addicts :eek: We have a number of active folks who are located in your neck of the woods. They happen to be goat folks as well. As you browse around the various threads, I'm sure you'll "meet" some of them and get to know them. Make yourself at home and post away!

micah wotring

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hey, welcome to BYH! As for me I'd love to have a small hatchery with chickens, ducks, turkeys, quail, pheasants, and maybe geese. Also, Tilapia, sheep, and goats. Oh and pigs! How could you leave them out?;)

Anyway, great to have you here! BYH and BYC has helped me a TON too. :)

~MW

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from NH! I like your dream homestead. I currently have goats, pigs, chickens and turkeys (and two house dogs). The only other animal I may be interested in adding at some point in the future would be sheep.

What kind of goats are you looking to get?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from another North Carolinian! :frow

Living the dream (most days ;)) just waiting for more land! :)
We raise and breed
Chickens
Turkeys
Geese
Nigerian Dwarf
Miniature Lamancha
Miniature Nubian
Standard Lamancha
Standard Nubian
Kikos
Livestock Guardian Dogs

Alexz7272

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Welcome from Colorado! :frow
I currently am doing more of a homestead situation. We have five acres with 4 dogs, 25 chickens, 6 goats, 3 sheep, 2 alpacas MIGHT be getting a mini donkey (or mule, or hinny), 4 rabbits, 2 turkeys, lost my quail but getting a handful again soon! :)
What breeds are you looking into getting? Cannot wait to get to know you and see your farm grow :D =D

Gabby

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Wow, I never expected to meet so many new people in one post! :) I'm also a picture junkie so I'm sure you'll all be seeing lots of those ;) Everyone's farms sound so amazing, I can't wait to get my own started! I can't believe the wide range of animals on this one thread, that's amazing! While my dream is to have nigerian dwarf goats, I'd actually like to start with a pair of boer or nubian goats to get the hang of the whole goat thing.

I'm not sure of the proper etiquette on these forums yet; Should I reply to every single person or would that look tacky? I loved hearing about everyone's farms and dreams and animals, I'm so happy to finally be here! :)

Gabby

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Alright I'm going to reply to everyone then! :)

Latestarter- Thank you so much for the welcome! Oscar, the "pup," appreciates the compliment, he's a total ham when it comes to taking pictures! Thank you for letting me know there are lots of other goat people in my state, I have trouble finding other friendly homesteaders in my state so that's very nice to know.

micah wotring- Oh my goodness, I never even thought of having a fish farm or raising fish, but that's actually ingenious and not something you hear very often! Also I should have added quails to my first post as well, since I'd like to attempt raising them at some point.

NH homesteader- Nice to meet you!!!! Is that your pig in your profile picture? How cute! :) I'd like to start with boer or nubian goats and work my way to the pygmy breeds of goats.

Southern by choice- Oh my goodness what a herd! That's incredible! :D If you don't mind me asking, what part of the state are you located in? You don't have to say a town/specific area, just like, north, south, near the coast, in the mountains, etc? I'm personally on the NC/SC border and it's almost impossible to find other homesteaders or friendly farmers around here!

Alexz7272- Your herd/flock sounds incredible! I would personally just die of happiness if I ever met a miniature donkey :love Do you breed your animals or just adopt them and raise them for the sake of raising them? Thank you for the kind welcome! :D

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from Ohio! I have ponies and sheep, and my ideal place would be about 15 acres already fully fenced :)

Good luck with your plans!

Latest posts